We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Possible to cycle from Leigh to Salford Quays along the canal?

Beth0202 08 Oct 14:03  

Bike:

That is it basically, I live in Leigh, Lancs and work in Salford Quays - the drive is utter hell so I plan to start biking it and probably will get to work faster - 11.8 miles along the east lancs. However it occurs to me there is an excellent route along the canal which would be a million times more pleasant and safer too. I'm just not sure cycling is permitted all the way along into salford quays.

Does anyone know or can anyone tell me how to find out without having to actually do it? I'm really short of spare time (single mum, work full time, househunting and also have a planning permission project on the go, as well as executory duties to complete)so would like to find out virtually before I get on my bike...?

Thanks in advance.

sonny walkman 10 Oct 14:56  

Bike:

My Profile
http://www.opencyclemap.org/

http://www.cyclegm.org/

Hope these sites help. You can order paper maps from the cyclegm site. I think map 1 (Wigan) & map 10 (Salford) will do the trick

Cycle route 55 has a lot of off road between Howe Bridge and Ellesmere Park in Eccles and will take you along Eccles New Road It will be muddy at this time of year and I'm not sure how well lit it is in darkness.

The East Lancs itself has a reasonable wide cycle lane on the southern side which has cyclists going both ways and will keep you away from direct contact with traffic although you will still have to content with traffic signals as a 'pedestrian'.

I do different parts of the route regularly as part of leisure rides and also know a lot of the rat runs which have less traffic at the Salford end.

Good luck

sonny walkman 10 Oct 15:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Just noticed your comment about the canal. From my own experience I don't think you'd be able to do it all the way unfortunately as the cycle-friendly parts are quite sporadic. However if anyone else knows otherwise I'm happy to be proved wrong

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.