We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Maintenance book

AndyS 27 Oct 17:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

I would like to buy a bicycle maintenance book - actually I would like to have one for christmas really!

I have looked at a couple in a local bookshop but it seemed to be a choice between very basic or very complicated!

I am relatively new back to cycling and really want to know stuff like keeping the brakes working and the gear change smooth and making sure that I keep my steed in best condition for as long as possible.

Any suggestions?

Andy

My Latest Route: Jun 2010 Ripon Cathedral to Boroughbridge Loop
sean8997 28 Oct 12:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Andy,

I picked up a bike maintenance Haynes Manual from Halfords, really quite good, got all differant types of braking and gearing systems etc so relevant to most bikes on the market.

Hope this helps

Sean

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

AndyS 28 Oct 17:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Sean

I will have a look at it.

Andy

My Latest Route: Jun 2010 Ripon Cathedral to Boroughbridge Loop

dudley 29 Oct 08:39  

Bike:

My Profile
it's not as touchy feely, but i got the exact maintenance info i required for my specific componentry off the manufacturers website.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

soren 29 Oct 11:16  

Bike:

My Profile

You can also Google it,I typed in "rear derailier adjustment" and I got a video of a guy talking and showing how to do it.
PS my gears now change smoothly.

DMM 29 Oct 11:25  

Bike:

Suggest you go on the Webb ''bikerader.com'' then look under ''work shop''

DMM 29 Oct 13:08  

Bike:

P.S.if you want the daddy of them all then its THE Big Blue Book 2nd edition ard £20.00 by Park tools.

Its a slippery slop once you start,if your not carefull you can spend more time doing it than riding to start with = its my bible - have fun

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.