We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

MAPS!

Joe le Taxi 25 Apr 14:56  

Bike:

My Profile
I want to do some long-distance cycling in France. What advice can anyone give me regarding the best scale maps to take.The 1:100,000 are good but to get say, from north to southern France, I would need approx 10 maps. That's a lot of maps, not to mention expense. Does anyone who has done this kind of cycling before, have any tips. I def want to avoid national/main roads etc, so maps would have to have country roads etc. What scale maps do you guys normally use for long-distance cycling? Thanks in advance!
joegolding@yahoo.com

Magnitude 25 Apr 18:38  

Bike:

My Profile
If you have an Android phone/PC Tablet I recommend downloading MapDroyd. It's free and has maps for pretty much every country. For France they have 23 individual maps, the great thing is the maps download to your device so you don't need to be in a GPS/WiFi area.

My Latest Route: May 2010 West Bromwich to Walsall and Wolverhampton Canal Loop

Joe le Taxi 26 Apr 15:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey Magnitude,
Thanks for the advice man but I come from the generation that grew up with good old fashion maps. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for advancement and going forward but in my view there's nothing better than examining your map the night before for the next day's ride. Once again however, thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my quiery.
Good Luck,
Joe le Taxi

dawes-rider 27 Apr 16:12  

Bike:

My Profile
hey joe
why not try a good michelin french road map, they usally have most of the roads shown as well as side roads there 1:200000 i know they do a more detailed one but there about 11 e each. car boots are a good source as well as the odd charity shop.
sorry if not much help but good luck.

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64

Joe le Taxi 27 Apr 17:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Hay Dawes Rider,

It's great that you took the time to reply.
Much appreciated!
Joe le Taxi

dudley 28 Apr 02:47  

Bike:

My Profile
is there an online map resource?

I did a long ride once and spent a while downloading all the relevant bits of maps, rather than whole maps - putting them together into a 'string' and then cutting and laminating accordingly.

Took a while, but no big foldy things on the day, just a cue card for each day

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Joe le Taxi 28 Apr 03:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Dudley, I did think about that one. It will probably take me ages as my computer is very old but will definantly consider it!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.