We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Lands End to John O'Groats and BACK in 6 days!?!

pilavachi 21 Aug 17:32  

Bike:

Hi,

I haven't written in this forum before, but wanted to highlight a crazy challenge an aquaintenace is doing to raise money and awareness for CRY - Cardiac Risk in the Young.

Ben Rockett is attempting to cycle from Land's End to John O'Groats and back within in 6 days, which means he is going to have to cycle just under 300 miles a day.

He's written a great blog, and there's a live map that track's his progress if anyone is interested.

http://www.rockettrides.com/

soren 22 Aug 15:56  

Bike:

My Profile

I wish Ben all the luck in the world,and if my doubts give him encouragement then great,but surely he needs more rest than he is allowing himself.

pilavachi 22 Aug 17:24  

Bike:

Well it wouldn't be a world record if it wasn't really difficult.

It seems to me impossible, but he has already got past Glasgow having left saturday morning, but we'll just have to see how long the entire challenge takes.

If anyone can do it, it's Ben.

dudley 23 Aug 09:48  

Bike:

My Profile
he's past Tain crossing the Dornoch Firth, and way ahead of his estimated schedule.

He was expecting to be in Drumnadrochit now, which is 50 miles back down the track.

good effort!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

pilavachi 23 Aug 09:59  

Bike:

He's doing really well! and has only had an hours sleep since setting off Saturday.

If anyone is keeping track of his progress, any messages of support are really appreciated by Ben and his Team.

It is oddly addictive watching the live tracker map!

dudley 24 Aug 11:46  

Bike:

My Profile
not far from Loch Lomond on the way South....

smokie 24 Aug 23:42  

Bike:

I have just come across the challenge that Ben is doing and wish him all the best, and will be following him to see if he makes it.

pilavachi 25 Aug 12:59  

Bike:

Ben has done well, he set off from Land's End at 9am on 21 August and reached the turnaround at John O'Groats around 10pm on the 23rd - just over two and a half days of riding and four hours ahead of schedule.
He's been on the road just under 4 and half days and has passed Lancaster on his way back down. It's highly addictive watching his progress on the live tracker.

http://www.rockettrides.com/?page_id=627

dudley 26 Aug 03:27  

Bike:

My Profile
and now his last sleep (90 mins) before the final push (270 miles!)
he's outside Ludlow, South West of Birmingham

he has 24 hours left to beat 6 days (ave 11.25mph), and 45 hours left to beat the record (ave 6mph).

pilavachi 26 Aug 18:05  

Bike:

Less than a 100 miles to go, and it looks like he will break the current record by a WHOLE day!

pilavachi 27 Aug 01:56  

Bike:

Ben completed his challenge this morning, LEJOGLE in 5 days and 21 hours. Beating the previous record of 6 days and 20 hours. It was also pouring with rain most of the way, so I don't know how he kept his spirits up, as apparently he was still smiling when he went through his home town of Taunton.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.