We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Hydration and all that

Bonny6051 16 Aug 13:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Another question for everyone:

When out on a ride (30-60 miles as opposed to an all-day ride)what does everyone take to drink, should one use an energy drink or will just water suffice?

The reason I ask is that if I sweat too much I end up with a de-hydration headache that would kill an elephant and have to go to bed for a few hours; so should I just use water or the energy stuff to replace those vital lost fluids?

Chris.

BusterG 17 Aug 07:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
Rather than energy drink - I take 2 bottles; 1 with plain water and one with electrolyte replacement pills - nuun. it is non sugary. You can also use Dialright (much cheaper) from a chemist to treat or avoid dehydration.
if you suffer from dehydration regularly look at how much you drink on a ride and drink little but often. take foods rich in salts too - again little but often.

Others will swear by various energy drinks and gel but they seldom address electrolytes. A lot of people have reactions to energy drinks i did so now I avoid them, I dont want to be throwing up on an all day ride.

Good luck
Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

dudley 17 Aug 08:10  

Bike:

My Profile
agreed.
I also try and separate hydration from energy.

get your water and electrolytes from the bottle, and get your food in solids / bars (or gels if you must! - not really a fan!)

as regards getting hydrated before effort, i read recently that it can take a lot longer than we think to fully hydrate. Whilst you can neck a few pints of water the night before exercise, and have crystal clear pee, it has not necessarily got to all the body tissues.

Make an effort to be hydrated all the time, or at least a couple of days before major prolonged exertion.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

xcexpert 17 Aug 16:35  

Bike:

My physio chap (receiving treatment from an industrial accident) told me just taking water is fine.
Couple of sips or more per mile is fine unless its hot.
By the time you start feeling the effects of dehydration then its usually too late to do anything about it
He refered to it as "bonking out" which caused me to raise my eyebrows

I tried it the other day when I went for a quick ride on the Monsal trail in Derbyshire & it worked fine.

eltelio 18 Aug 00:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Chris, agree with all the above. On longer rides I usually use two bottles of water with a small amount of dilute orange for taste, and a small amount of table salt in each bottle. Used to get terrible cramps before I started using the salt but right as rain now. Then I carry a few energy bars to guard off the "bonk". Eat and drink small amounts often, and dont wait until you are hungry or thirsty, is what I've always been told.

My Latest Route: May 2012 Wylam and Beyond

spaceman 20 Aug 12:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Chris, I try to have a small drink (mouthfull) every 10 minutes or so.I use High5 Energy Sourse in the bottles, as I struggle with gels.
I often do 60 milers and take 2x 750ml bottles and some figs,dates and or flapjack. It is so important to keep yourself hydrated and fuelled.
But you must find your own level here as we are all different.
Good luck Dave

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

Barrymac 21 Aug 04:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I generally ride with 2 bottles. One with plain water and one with an electrolyte drink.

My Latest Route: Sep 2011 Lhanbryde to Rothes Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.