We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

HELP! Thinking ov moving from MTB to road

little hobo 31 Jul 15:47  

Bike:

how much quicker would a road bike make me and what should i look for in a new bike

spaceman 31 Jul 16:09  

Bike:

My Profile
I first road to work on a mountain bike and was following 2 guys on road bikes. When we were freewheeling they were rolling much faster than me. I ride 40 mile a day and many times I follow a mountain bike and have to keep braking to stay behind them, I am free wheeling and they are peddling.
My guess is that the rolling resistance of a Road bike tyre 700C at around 80-100psi is about 30% less than a mountain bike tyre 26" at around 50psi.
I know when I put some slicker tyres on my mountain bike for road use it made a big difference.
So I guess a fairly standard road bike would up your averages about 10-20%.

New bike... well it depends on how much you want to spend?
You can get a second hand road bike for £150-£200 that will do fine, e.g. a second hand Halfords Carerra was my first road bike and it was spot on.

Have a look around .....

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

mike675r 31 Jul 16:57  

Bike:

My Profile
I ride to work 9.5 miles onthe road bike takes me 30 mins on the mountain bike takes me 30 mins reason on a road bike i need to slow down for the curbs on cycle paths on the mountain bike i don't just put full slicks on mountain bike still takes 30 mins but the bike rolls rely well on slicks.

BusterG 01 Aug 03:44  

Bike:

My Profile
There is room for both!
I couldnt choose so have both.
Off road singletrack doesnnt compare to the speed and pace of road riding.
That said I commute on a road bike and save my mountainbike for the weekend.
But as they say the choice is yours!
Good luck with the choices, must be like a kid in a candy store with all the choices nowadays.

Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

alas58 02 Aug 15:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I use my mountain bike as I use offroad. my road bike would be quicker but would mean being on a busy duel carrage way and i feel safer offroad.

I went to semi slicks over the winter and noticed a went a bit faster, having gone back to nobbly tyres i have not lost alot of speed, plus it helps with training towards cadence on the road bike.

A road bike is quicker on the road, do you want comfort, speed, climbing, a giant defy maybe a good choice.

Gutbucket 02 Aug 16:55  

Bike:

You will love road riding. Easy, fast and strangely more social than off road. I bought a sillier lava redo wanting a sexy Italian model rather than dull if good us brands like specie and trek. Go do it!

Gutbucket 02 Aug 16:56  

Bike:

You will love road riding. Easy, fast and strangely more social than off road. I bought a sillier lava redo wanting a sexy Italian model rather than dull if good us brands like specie and trek. Go do it!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.