We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

First ride - how far?

Phoenix1 02 Mar 09:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I did 2 miles to ride home from the shop and walk up to 4 miles per day so I am fit as such but I was wondering how far people think I should go and if there is some sort of build up program?

I thought I would do a 5 mile loop around Harrogate today, avoiding major hills, to start.

What do people think? Thank you for your replies and for those who post maps and routes, they look great for the future!

Phoenix1 02 Mar 14:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Well I did 5km anyway and that was okay as it started raining after that!

skudupnorth 07 Mar 16:11  

Bike:

My Profile
I guess if you go prepared well i.e clothing and food then you should be able to extend your ride to what suits you.I do 12 miles a day on my work commute and even now it is sometimes harder maybe due to not eating correctly in the day or just through being tired from the days work.I did about 36 miles the other night to visit my Mum and i was fine because i had prepared myself with food and only started to hurt about 4 miles from home due to the cold getting to me and i had nearly run out of gas !!!!

happy 08 Mar 13:21  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi Phoenix1,

It's best just to gradually increase your distance as you see fit. Every week extend your route a little, and see how far you can go comfortably remembering you have to cycle back as well!

Sometimes if you can arrange someone to pick you up you can do a longer 1 way route, and if you feel ok, you could always phone and cancel the lift and cycle back.

I always prefer cycling to somewhere my self, as in, not just doing circular rides.

Hope that helps.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.