We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

First Road Bike

Livinhope 24 Jun 05:12  

Bike:

I would appreciate your oppinions

Having started riding again only recently, being in my 50s and overweight, I'm now starting to manage up to 30 miles on my longer sessions. I currently have a Hybrid as much of my riding is on tracks rather than roads, nothing too severe, but living in the Peak District very hilly. By the way for anyone considering starting cycling I have dropped 5 kilos and can really feel the benefits.

I'm now considering purchasing a road bike as my aim is to extend my range this year upto circa 60 miles for my longest runs with the goal of completing a 100K sportife in 2012.

I am considering purchasing a Dawes Clubman, with a 3 drive front chain set and a eight speed rear cassette. I feel that I will need the granny ring as there are still many large hills in the peak district that I can't manage, and also the clubman appears to offer a balance of comfort and distance rather than pure speed, My current aim is more survival than speed.

If any of you have experience of the clubman or can offer a good alternative I would be intersted in hearing from you.

Thanks

David

sdwalker 25 Jun 05:18  

Bike:

My Profile
You will see in other posts that the boardman comes highly recomended from anyone who rides it. i am still stuck on my Viking single speed but wish i forked out the extra to get the boardman they look like great machines.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

annieslandmissile 25 Jun 05:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi there

Yeah i have just got a Boardman Road bike and it looks and feels great!! I still need to do a proper long run on it but its looks good. I ve also got a Carerra hybrid, which i ve had for 9 years now and still going strong. Check out Halfords website.

Oh well happy cycling!!

Doug

8pete 27 Jun 04:53  

Bike:

My Profile
you may also want to consider Planet X, good value for the price

Livinhope 28 Jun 03:07  

Bike:

Thanks to all for their responses, having followed the thread regarding Boardman Road Bikes, whilst they seem to be a sound model the service levels found at Halfords leaves much to be desired. Is the Boardman brand available though independent cyle shops?

Regards

echobase 29 Jun 07:54  

Bike:

Hi,

You should also consider either of the following bikes;

Specialized Secteur Sport
Cannondale Synapse Sora

These bikes are designed for the long haul as well as giving the rider the sportive edge!

Cheers

sdwalker 29 Jun 10:02  

Bike:

My Profile
No its not at present as its exclusive. however boardman do have their own website of bikes for mail order but not all are available in the UK

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

Livinhope 30 Jun 03:53  

Bike:

Once again, many thanks for you responses

spoken 04 Jul 14:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi livinhope

Glad to hear the riding is going well for you and that you're feeling the health benefits.

A word of advice, before you jump in and decide to buy a road bike first consider whether you're getting the best out of your existing hybrid. Riding position can make all the difference on longer rides - though speaking from personal experience I'd put around 60k as the maximum comfortable ride over even surfaces on anything other than a road bike.

Good luck with your training.

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Hammersmith to Hampton Court

Livinhope 06 Jul 05:51  

Bike:

Hi Spoken

I have not really given any real consideration to bike set up other than seat height. Having just purchased the Cycling Active Magazine, it has come with a fee DVD this month which help you ensure that your bike set up is optimised so I'm certainly going to give this some consideration.

Thanks

David

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.