We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Do you take your kids cycling?

happy 07 Sep 12:37  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Just wondering how many people take their kids cycling with them, and how far you manage to take them without them a) complaining, b) giving up...

My daughter is still a bit too young to cycle by herself but I'm hoping in a few years we may be able to go out cycling together :)

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71
BusterG 08 Sep 05:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
I am lucky to (a) have active kids (b) live in an area where off road cycling can be done from the front door.
A tag along is a must for the younger ones, even if you go onto rough terrain you can talk them through standing up (to ride the bumps) and when to pedal hard. Most country parks have different sized loops too.

My boys have been doing 5 -10 miles from the age of 6. Often they will ride with me when I run up to 10 miles.
Problem with these ages is teaching them how to use thier gears to help. Also on most cheapie kids bike the gears (twist shift) are rubbish and they cant shift the gears.

I found if they dont have the option to give up they get on with it. If you are off road Mum cant bring the car to collect. Try not to set a time limit so you dont feel rushed, let them take theier time and rest/explore on foot if they want.
Also take treats and food with as enticements for the next stop etc. It may not work for everybody but it does with mine.

Good luck with getting the lil darlings out the house.
Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

happy 08 Sep 07:23  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Cheers Buster,

Only downside to where we are at the moment is the lack of rural routes. Need a good 3 miles or so to get out of the "town" so to speak.

But hey, few years to go yet, I should start my research about kids bikes lol!

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

dudley 09 Sep 07:58  

Bike:

My Profile
daughter is 6, son is 2.
He is happy on a bike seat on the back, and has done lots of miles without complaining. Have to keep singing, though....!

Daughter only has a single speed kids bike at present. weighs a ton.
However, she has done a few 5 or six mile rides, and a couple of 12 mile days, with a lunch stop.

Looking seriously at upgrading to a bike with a bit of gearage, as she suffers on the hills.

Would ideally like to get her something from 'Isla BIkes', but would need a mortgage!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.