We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cyclists vs Motorists - BBC1 last night

BusterG 06 Dec 09:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Did any of you see this program?
I was shocked by some of the footage and the attitudes of the "own the road" cyclists and bike "vigilantes".
My wife doesnt want me to commute anymore - albeit I commute once a week on rural-ish roads.

What are your experiences?
Obviously I drive 4 days a week so consider myself firmly in both camps but if I was able to cycle 5 days a week I would.

Are you a vigilante? angry motorist? own the road cyclist? or Angry cyclist?

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss
spaceman 06 Dec 17:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Just watched it on IPlayer. Very thought provoking.
I commute about 4000mile a year from Bedworth to Warwick via Coventry.
The roads are very busy in places and you need to be very aware, and some times pull out off the gutter and take a bit more space.
My biggest problem is normally pedestrians walking out in front of me when I go through Coventry.
They are unaware of cyclist often because they have headphones, talking on their phone, texting or talking to others and oblivious to me doing approx 20mph.
Also the occasional car cuts across in front of me at junctions and the odd bus, lorry squeeze's me into the kerb, which I must say is the most frightening.
On average I have 3 instances every day.
I try to be calm and polite, ring my bell, or just stop, this often helps to put the point across.But sometimes I shout when they have passed and say some things best not repeated.
I also try to be curtious and say thankyou to drivers who consider you , by waving and saying thanks.
I love cycling and have found it is better where possible to avoid the problem areas and take avoiding action, after all a car, truck, bus is much superior in terms of speed and weight and you will allays come off worse.
I did once pull up along side a double decker at the lights and waved at the driver to get his attention, he opened his door and i told him politely that I was extremely scared when he over took me on a narrow road with traffic coming the other way, and the bus was brushing against my arm, he simply replied there was loads of room. But I felt it was better to be calm and polite and point out what I had experienced rather than any accusations or anger. Again I feel it would have possibly made a difference.
Also I sometimes do stupid things which I learn from and acknowledge to the driver that it was my fault by holding my hand up and say sorry.
In conclusion I believe if we all take a positive approach we can make things better.
As for the guys on the film , the first young guy is a Tw** with his camera and deserves all he gets because his attitude stinks. The Scottish guys who nearly got wiped out by the lorry was great, the CEMEX lorry driver was a great role model for truck drivers and in my experiance most truck drivers are very professional ( I work for Volvo Truck as a Trainer and have met many drivers and they are not what they are portrayed as). The guy who got punched was spot on some cyclist deserve a smack in the mouth, as do some car/lorry/bus drivers if not physically then mentally.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

Dawlish cyclist 06 Dec 18:35  

Bike:

My Profile
I made the switch from off road to road cycling around 8 months ago mainly due to the abuse I received from walkers/climbers and most of all people who think that their dog has more right to be running off the lead on a track than anyone else. I'm a dog owner myself , i know my dog is at his happiest when he's running free off his lead, but there is a place for it and a cycle trail is not one!
Now I get the most abuse from car drivers who seem to think its appropriate to beep their horn at me as there passing, to shout that I should be using the cycle path.
I could just imagin the abuse I'd get from pedestrians, when I'm doing 30mph down a path way/ cycle path!!!

BusterG 07 Dec 09:48  

Bike:

My Profile
what is clear is that each group will be judged by the minority that cause problems.

most cyclists arent aggressive or "own-the-roaders" and most motorists aren't aggressive either.

Everyone needs to have an appreciation for the others perspective and behave accordingly.

It will also help to have good brakes and your wits about you.

Happy pedalling!

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

rustyspoke 08 Dec 05:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes wathched it and as a cyclist of many years I have seen many changes both in Drivers and Cyclist.
I have driven artics and all sorts of vehicles and rode many miles over the years.
But some people in the programe were out of order.
When driving i try to be aware of everyone around me but this tends to get the BMW and Audi brigade a bit wound up (yes i stick to speed limits)that what i mean and i am cautious.
When cycling i apply the same rules be aware of people when on cycle track and people are around you a gentle whistle or a bell always works.
Red lights mean STOP I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE! or how fast you can ride the car or truck coming the other way cant be expected to stop in 2 feet.
Lets all try to get on there are enough problems in this world without drivers and cyclist starting a war against each other.
If i have upset the BMW or Audi Drivers here welli could mention every make under the sun but you lot tend to be just a bit to pushy on the road at times my opinion !

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.