We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycling routes in Normandy

led 23 Jul 10:49  

Bike:

My friend and I are trying to plan a cycling route around Normandy but are finding it quite hard. We'd like to stay in b&bs and cycling about 40 miles a day (so we have room for exploring too). We can get the ferry from Newhaven or Portsmouth easily and are planning to go for a week or less.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Lucy

edwin 25 Jul 15:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Lucy,

actually i've never been to Normandy with a bike (actually I've been to Normandy at all, except for Mont St. Michel), so I am not really a first class advisor.

I had a quick look at some seb sites, just to give you some hints:
A good start for cycle paths in France is always "Voies Vertes" www.voiesvertes.com, which shows some paths in the area. Unfortunately the of all links the one for "La Manche" is kaput. (Typical French... as long as the site is colourful, no one cares for function ;-) )
There are some routes depicted in Normandy and some interesting in "La Manche".
There is another site for voies vertes www.af3v.org, but not more helpful.

A quick google search gave me http://troisv.amis-nature.org/spip.php?article13 "Véloroutes et voies vertes de Normandie". There is a link for the download of a brochure "La Manche à vélo" www.manche-randonnee.com/iso_album/manche-velo.pdf (Attention: 6,5 Megabyte). This looks quite interessting. There should be similar leaflets for the other départements, too.

Just don't be afraid of using the internet.

If there is anything else I can do... just leave a note

Bonne route!

edwin

Jim Dickson 27 Jul 16:33  

Bike:

My son and I are leaving on Sunday morning from Poole to Cherbourg and plan to cycle for 6 days. We are going east to barfleur then following the coast down to carentan and then up to the other normandy landing beaches. If we have time we will detour through Bayeux on the way back following a similar route but coming inland to visit St Mere Eglise. There are many campsites on the coast and quiet B roads. I havent cycled this route before but I have read of a few people who have and said it was a memorable trip. for me its the cycling, the countryside and a bit of poignant history as well. Hope your trip works out ok.

Jim

Sue BP 12 Jan 04:59  

Bike:

Best ride we have done was in 2009 - out Monday morning from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, and returning the following Friday from Ouistreham to Portsmouth. Visited all of the D-Day landing beaches - easy terrain. Stayed at 4 hotels in Valognes, Carentan, Port-en-Bessin and Courselles-sur-Mer - mostly along the coast.

Day 1 cycled from port to Valognes. Day 2 to St Mere Eglise, Utah beach, Carentan. Day 3 - Grandcamp Maisy, Point du Hoc, the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, Port-en-Bessin. Day 4 - in from the coast to visit Bayeux, back out to Arromanches, Courseulles-sur-Mer. Day 5 along the coast towards Ouistreham with a quick detour to visit Pegasus bridge at Benouville and then on to the ferry port. Only 25/30 miles per day, but we did lots of sightseeing on the way :-)

maljb 21 Apr 11:39  

Bike:

Anyone interested in Normandy cycling holiday should check out
www.culderouvre.com

VTTer 06 Jul 03:30  

Bike:

Thannks for the link to your business. I'll definitely avoid it.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.