We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycle Routes - Gateshead/Washington, Tyne & Wear

Bammer 07 Sep 05:12  

Bike:

Hi All,

As part of my master plan for fitness(!), I've started cycling to and from work. Today was teh first day, and the route is 5.75 miles each way. Learned my first leasson this monring, when both my backside and the underside of my rucksack were soaking wet! Must buy waterproof trousers and backpack cover :)

Anyways, does anyone know of any good cycle routes in the Washington or Gateshead area? Im new to the area so not too familar with the trails etc around here.

Any advice would be great :)

Cheers
John

albion 09 Sep 06:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bammer, you can get free cycle maps with all of the waggonways and rail tracks etc on it from the library.

I certainly recommend cycling north eastwards for starters.
Once fitter you then have route 7 for Consett etc.

I've not cycled for a few weeks through injury but once cycling again I'll certainly plump for an easy start Jarrow direction.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

Duncan C 10 Sep 17:26  

Bike:

My Profile
You can also get the maps sent in the post.

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Transport%20and%20Streets/Cycling/CyclingGateshead.aspx

Email link cycling@gateshead.gov.uk.

There is a series of 6 maps covering Sunderland, Gateshead, South and North Shields, Newcastle and Northumberland. You have to contact each council invividually for their respective map, but they are worth it.

Durham County Council produces 3 Maps covering their area, once again well worth getting.

http://www.durham.gov.uk/Pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=539

Email: pedalpower@durham.gov.uk

At the moment all these maps are free.

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Consett to Cornsay and Tow Law Circular

paininthearse 12 Sep 14:35  

Bike:

When I got into cycling I did the route from the metro centre (or swallwell car park)
up to consett , then later onto Waskerly, its on the c2c route , virtually all off road , good scenery and a good chance of seeing red kites ,
May not be suitable for a road bike but perfect for my ridgeback hybrid, what I also liked is it runs on an old railway line so gradient is easy, its up hill all the way from the metro centre to Waskerly, I could knacker myself out knowing it was downhill all the back to the metro centre.
Cannot recall the distance but guessing 11 mile Metro - Consett and 7miles+ to Waskerly?

there is a pdf of some of the route here ... http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Leisure/Leaflets/countryside/Derwent.pdf

Also can detour along the consett -> sunderland C2C route.

HardRockPro 06 Feb 13:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bammer, I’m in the Washington / Geteshead area too. I have had my HardRock Pro MTB since April 2011 and have covered around 2500 miles. If you want to meet up for a local or extended ride anytime, just drop me a line. I am free most weekends and two or three days during the week. Cheers Dave B.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 33 Mile Round Trip From Felling, Tyne & Wear

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.