We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycle Insurance

geeka 26 Nov 03:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyones opinion on it is, I saw this article today and it has made me think. I cycle to and from work every day ( i do 20 miles a day) so im wondering would it be worth getting? also if so does anyone have any good links for decent policies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15892074

Cheers
Tim

STID 26 Nov 04:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I caught quite by chance a segment on BBC radio 5 this morning about 8.15, (BBC Iplayer may repeat it) about the same subject and they spoke to a representative for the Cyclists Touring Club, CTC.

About 230 cyclists are either killed or seriously injured A MONTH, and if insured through the CTC, they fight your corner if you are in the right, tooth and nail.

Lot of other insurers i'm sure but the CTC is a good place to start. I believe you have to become a member, (don't quote me on that) but further investigation will clarify everything.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

STID 26 Nov 04:47  

Bike:

My Profile
http://www.cyclecover.org.uk/

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

alas58 26 Nov 14:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes you have to join CTC to have the insurance.

It costs around £35 per year and you get news letters, and 2 magazines.

It depends on how much you cycle and where i suppose if it is worth the money.

Captain13 26 Nov 17:31  

Bike:

My Profile
id tend to think in all seriousness it isnt worth the money, just use common sense and take care!

next we'll have cooking insurance

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 North Cheshire Loop

rustyspoke 27 Nov 06:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Yet again the Cyclist is at fault we need to have insurance.
No we need to educate drivers I have drive artics and all sorts of vehicles I pay attention when driving that is what people need to.
Lets have insurance for this and the other and when you make a claim they will try every method not to pay out.
Its just an other busy body who has probably never cycled to anywhere.
Lets this happen and it will be compulsory to wear helmets ( I do but thats my choice) it will also be you have this that and the other fitted to the bike.
Captin 13 is correct cooking insurance what next.

If you have insurance and never make a claim and when you decide to hang up the wheels will you get any refund NO and you london based boy and girls will get hammered for preimums.
Also what about your freedom to chose.
Rant over, but insurance after 45 years in the saddle its time to get out of this stupid over regulated UK

alas58 28 Nov 08:43  

Bike:

My Profile
unfortunatley there are those who do not look out for cyclists, a accident this morning involving a car and a cyclist show how often this happens.

As a worker on a low wage, and no company sick pay,I would hope having some insurance may help in compensation in a accident that is not my fault.

I agree that Health&safety has gone mad, but it is a question of choice, and i feel better for having some backup. I hope never to have to use it.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.