We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Crazy Enough to Cycle in Snow?

mattk 05 Jan 12:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Have you been mad enough to (attempt) to ride in the snow over the last couple of weeks?

How did you find it? Cold I guess... I think I'm more what they'd call a Sunday rider - decent weather only kinda guy, but I have seen a few cyclists toughing it out. I must take my hat off to you...

Just wondering if you do it out of necessity... or just because you can?

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN
dudley 05 Jan 12:45  

Bike:

My Profile
saw two commuters on road bikes heading across the Forth road bridge this morning at around 6.45am
temp was -5
local roads are clear only in the wheel ruts with a central snow line between them, and no sight of the kerb or a white line.

mad as a box of frogs

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mark1989 05 Jan 13:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I've have been cycling to work every day during wind, rain and well snow for 4 months now.

I simply have to, it's just an added bonus that I love it.

Actually nearly ran quite a big dog over this morning, a quick tap of the rear brake with a swerve to get out the way and... well I'm sure you can guess. Never the less the dog was ok, however I did give the owner a few strong word inc "If I didnt like dogs as much as I do I'd have gone straight over that little...." (insert your own ending.) Wasn't really fair on the poor guy but it did make me feel better during a pretty chilly commute in the snow.

So to answer your question yes I do brave the snow and on my modified mountain commuter it's fine aslong as you take it slow through the corners and watch out for dogs.

mark1989

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Burton Latimer to Desborough Loop

krazykayaker 05 Jan 15:13  

Bike:

My Profile
I went out last night for a quick jolly round the block just to see what it was like!!

It was Cold !

Dont think i'll be doing the same tonight as its about 4" deep at the moment and still snowing strong!

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

skudupnorth 05 Jan 19:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Yep,done it today.Tomorrow could be moe fun though if the promissed ice arrives !

gentle john 09 Jan 02:06  

Bike:

Hi Mattk.

Epping Forest in the snow is amazing.
Highly recommend it to anyone.

jimwoo25 10 Jan 05:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Decided to cycle to work on Monday morning to cover a shift so i left the house at 4:45am.

By the time i got to work, parts of my hair were frozen and one of my pals at work told me it was -8 outside! Once you start spinning the pedals though, it doesnt feel that cold.

I have noticed the roads are quieter traffic wise while the snows about! Long may it stay!

SoTyred 10 Jan 07:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I learnt my lesson last year when I went out, hit a patch of black ice and ended up with a broken elbow.

http://sotyred.blogspot.com/2008/12/crashed-out.html

My Latest Route: May 2013 Shoeburyness to Maldon and Back

Via MacNiven 12 Jan 20:03  

Bike:

Did 13.3 miles around Nuneaton... it was a hoot in the snow :)

Reluctant 13 Jan 03:31  

Bike:

Heck, yes! Commuted every day through the cold spell on snow and ice. Still faster than driving, walking or getting a bus. Been out for a few recreational rides in Swinley forest too - it's great, but very hard going!
[IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/newtface/BMX009.jpg[/IMG]
Snow chains help a bit!

mattk 13 Jan 12:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey Reluctant,

Do the snow chains actually work...? They certainly look the part!

mattk 13 Jan 12:38  

Bike:

My Profile
No denying that some places look amazing with the snow, but I've been unsteady enough on my feet on the ice without trying to keep a bike steady too!

Reluctant 13 Jan 12:55  

Bike:

Yep, the chains really help. I've only got 8 on front and 7 on rear and it could use more - about 12 per wheel would be optimum. But yes, it does make a difference and cost about a fiver for chain and zip ties.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.