We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Covering the front gears for commute to work

Phoenix1 18 Jun 09:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Is there something I can put on my bikes front gears to make sure I do not rip or mark my trousers on the cycle to work? I have ties for my trousers that work well but this would be an extra piece of mind.

Kind regards

Phoenix

dudley 18 Jun 12:45  

Bike:

My Profile
a change of trousers?

there's a chap round here that cycles to work wearing a single gaiter as well.

you see full chain guards on kids bikes, and some quite 'old school' bikes, but i've not seen any on a newer bike.
What have you got?

that said, i've just typed "bicycle chain guard" into google- there seems to be things out there for you.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mr.mole 18 Jun 15:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Im lucky enough to have somewhere at work to get washed and changed when i get there, If I didnt I wouldnt ride as although its only 12 miles there, I would be well sweaty.
But i do think cycle clips for trousers are the best idea as they are really cheap.

soren 19 Jun 04:41  

Bike:

My Profile

Do you carry a ruck sack, but better still invest in a Topeak MTX Beam Rack with an Topeak MTX Bag, that way you can wear your cycling leggings and keep you work wear neat clean and safely stored away.

dudley 19 Jun 15:21  

Bike:

My Profile
mr. mole

no shower should not need no commute. you are indeed lucky, but after extensive research, i can reveal that a 13 mile commute with no shower does not have to be smell at all.

two important factors

1 - make sure you and your kit is clean in the morning. Have a shower before you ride

2 - make sure you are well hydrated. pint of water before bed.

as long as you have a towel down and throw a splash of water on your face, and have 5 or 10 minutes to sit and cool down before getting suited and booted, you'l be absolutely fine.

Clean clothes and a hydrated body doesn't stop sweat, but it makes for non-sweaty sweat.
you can go to town with the deoderants (Glasgow shower) too if that's your bag.

Never have any complaints at work

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.