We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Best way to gain endurance

argon84 29 Aug 13:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

Myself an several friends are new to distance cycling as a sport an have fallen into a routine of cycling once/twice during the week upto about 10/15 miles and going for 30 ish one once at the weekend. I am aware that to alot of you this distanc represents no challenge whatsoever. So my question is what would be the best programme for building up better endurance. Several shorter rides in the week and a big one at the weekend or just a bigger one at the weekend?

Rich.

My Latest Route: Sep 2011 Southend Circular via Ashingdon
STID 29 Aug 14:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Rich,

You do not mention what sort of distances you want to ultimately acheive. Each person might find a different method to do an endurance cycle. Why not try this, set out to do a 30 miler one weekend and the next weekend up it by 10 miles. Add 10 miles each time you go out until you reach your desired distance. Find a route that is fairly flatish to start with, then add in the odd climb to keep you on your toes. The nice thing about a group ride is you can help and encourage each other to acheive your aim.
Depending on your fitness and stamina, you should manage to do between 100 and 120 miles during a weekend ride.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

argon84 29 Aug 14:53  

Bike:

My Profile
So would you say it's best to avoid riding during the week if ultimately your aim is for long distance rides?

My Latest Route: Sep 2011 Southend Circular via Ashingdon

STID 29 Aug 15:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Not at all. If you have the time and energy, any time you put in will always go towards building up for your endurance. You also need to see how many of the group this will suit.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.