We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Best Route from South Wimbledon to East Preston (nr Littlehampton)

PeterR 04 Nov 07:27  

Bike:

Can anyone advise on the best route for a one way trip from South Wimbledon (SW19 2NE) to East Preston. I thought to go down the A219 to Tadworth then across to Dorking, Horsham etc but the A24 looks quite hilly to me at 48 and reasonably fit. I plan to stay at East PReston fro a few days before returning home by the same or a different route. I thnk it is about 52 miles but I wondered if it was worth going a bit further round to get a less hilly route to preserve my strength as much as possible. If I went via the A29 towars Arundel it might add on another 6 miles or so but is the A29 better cycling than the A24?

rook 05 Nov 22:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I know that once you reach arundel, after a bit of a steep climb its all downhill pretty much to the coast.
However the dual carriageway south from arundel is horrendously dangerous so i would reccomend going through Ford to Littlehampton and then navigating from there.
There is a long road that passes Ford station (thats a handy landmark to know you are heading in the right direction).

If you check the google maps you will see a road heading away from arundlel to the south west of the town, it is handilly called 'Ford Road'.
Eventually Ford Road meets the A259 which you should follow and then onto the B2140 which leads straight to East Preston.

Oh and the benefit of this is that there arent any hills on the coast!
good luck :)

My Latest Route: Oct 2011 Worthing to Arundel

PeterR 11 Nov 05:44  

Bike:

Thanks Rook. My big decision is whether to use the A24 most the way or to turn off onto the A29. I was thinking that the A29 is not as hilly as the A24 but don't know if that is true. Also does the extra distance make it not worth while. I am not like a super fit cyclist who goes at 20 and 30 mph. I am more of an average speed of maybe 10mph so it will take quite a few hours to cyle the 50 plus miles.

BusterG 11 Nov 08:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Avoid A roads like the plague. you can relax a lot more and enjoy the ride on the quieter lanes.
Have you considered mountainbiking it along the downslink? 40miles of bridlepath from guildford to shoreham.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

PeterR 11 Nov 13:45  

Bike:

Thanks Buster G. I have a mountain bike but think at my speed the offroading might take too long. How much slower is it?
I'll look at the downslink

PeterR 11 Nov 13:50  

Bike:

Would a farily tough old racing bike do OK or even better than a mountain bike on the downslink?

BusterG 12 Nov 04:11  

Bike:

My Profile
yes it might. i went in the spring and they had just cut the hawthorne hedges and i we got oads of punctures.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

rook 14 Nov 13:27  

Bike:

My Profile
The downs link in parts is nice and flat, but there are some climbs in parts, and also the ground is strewn with flint.
You would need tough tyres, like schwalbes or continentals with really good anti puncture protection.

I am not too sure how the wheels of a racer would fare on it either, as i have never ridden a racing bike and wouldnt want to try it on the downs.
If you were to attempt it though, you would definately cut out a massive amount of road, as there are very few points where you have to come off it.

It still stands out as a route i haven't completed after getting one too many punctures back in march

My Latest Route: Oct 2011 Worthing to Arundel

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.