We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Anyone know a good cycle route from Birmingham to London?

JoeyNew 12 Jan 08:19  

Bike:

Hey there,

My mate and I (complete cycling novices I should add) have naively decided to do a charity bike ride from Birmingham to London in a day...

Has anyone done this before? If so do you have any good routes to recommend? We heard there's a route along the canal paths but we can't seem to find any details.

Also, any other tips you can offer would be great. For example, are we complete idiots to think that this is possible???

Cheers

Joe

dudley 12 Jan 12:02  

Bike:

My Profile
go halfway.
Somewhere in between Birmingham and London is bound to be nicer than either end!

sorry!

i would avoid towpaths etc over that distance. you need to get on the road and get your foot down a bit.

If you use bikeroutetoaster.com, and select bike as a means of transport, it shows you the most direct, relatively cycle friendly, route. It avoids motorways, and takes you on country roads where possible if they are vaguley in the right direction. You will still end up on busy A roads in places. My experience is that Birmingham and London are both tarmac dominated places full of cars, so you are unlikely to avoid major traffic somewhere on the route.

On this basis, central b'ham to City of London comes up as 115 miles
This is definitely do-able in one day, and allows for decent rest stops etc.
imagine doing 12mph average speed (not difficult)
that's 9.5 hours
allow an hour at lunch and 3 x 20 minute stops morning, and 3 x 20 minute stops afternoon, and you have a 12.5 hour day. Up the pace a bit and you'll be quicker, obviously.

An early start means you are out of the City pre-traffic build-up, and get to London in time for a good meal and plenty of beer before bed.

I would use road bikes rather than mountain bikes. Hybrid if you must. If you use a mountain bike - use slick tyres, and avoid suspension. 115 miles on a full suspension mountain bike with knobbly tyres will be very very very painful!

you will need to get a bit of practice in.....

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

smithie 12 Jan 14:37  

Bike:

My Profile
The Grand Union Canal route is good fun and really nice south of Milton Keynes.

Stretches round Braunston were really difficult in the weather we had back in October.

Best to allow 3 days if you are not in a rush....and would recommend the best possible

puncture proof tyres you can afford!!

Happy tp help with any more details.

JoeyNew 17 Jan 07:43  

Bike:

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of food for thought!

Cheers

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.