We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

c2c

bigcallaz 30 Aug 08:16  

Bike:

hi im going to be doing the c2c in a few weeks and was just wanting to no how long it took you people to do it there and back? ill not be going all out for it so i know ill not be doing it in the space of 3 days, and any other tips will be very helpful thanks alot G.Callaghan

dawes-rider 31 Aug 03:32  

Bike:

My Profile
hi there, we done the c2c a few years ago. parked up at keswick yha & cycled to whitehaven then onto workington & back to keswick. nextday was hilly to alston yha then to newcastle hilly again with a good 25 mile slight down hill to tyneside stopping at the now closed newcastle yha,next day followed hadians wall to greenhead also a now closed yha & back on the last day to keswick so took about 4.5 days 287 miles.
the route is realy nice, except for the last few miles in to newcastle wished now we had tryed sunderland, it can be done in 3 days depending on fitness.
hope you have a great time and enjoy it.

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64

mickyb 02 Sep 13:46  

Bike:

what do i have to take (clothes)

jimwoo25 04 Sep 13:52  

Bike:

My Profile

Hi,

I've done the C2C from Whitehaven to Sunderland in 3 days, completed it last year.

We stopped in Whitehaven the night before, day 1 was Whitehaven to Keswick, Day 2 was Keswick to Rookhope, and finally day 3 from Rookhope to Sunderland.

You will find loads of B and B's on the way, but make sure if you stay in Rookhope you book somewhere early doors as it's only a very small village. We stopped in the Rookhope Inn.

Day 2 is the worst as you have to go up Hartside (steep, long gradient hill) but be safe in the knowledge that when you get up it, there is a cafe (try the soup!)

If you are stopping in B and B's, suggest a coupld of pairs of cycling jerseys and shorts, but the bare minimum if you are carrying it with you as the extra weight will only make the hills worse.

Best of luck though, it is a breathtaking ride in parts and well worth it!

Cheers
Jim

Shy but Daft 18 Feb 16:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,
We done the C2C route from Hull to Southport in may last year. It took us 5 days If I remember correctly. This was my 2nd long 'biggy' and proud for doing it as the weather was rotten on 2 full days. The route was, Hull, South beach,Doncaster,Barnsley,Manchester Didsbury, Widnes (via L'pool/ s/port) then home to Preston. It took us this long as we were photographing quite often. There are plenty of Travelodges along this route. Good luck, ali x

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Warrington to Preston

txbnet 19 Feb 14:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi just completed the C2C this weekend (Feb 18/19).

Day 1 was Whitehaven to Alston 75 miles (7.5 hours)
Day 2 Alston to Tynemouth 65 miles (5 hours)

I noticed a couple of problems which may be of help for any other 2012 early birds.

The off road section just before Whinlatter Pass has gates across which are locked at both ends and it is difficult to navigate round them with full panniers on the back. The ditches to the side were full of vegetation and water so no room to manoeuvre. Who runs this part and can we not do the C2C in the winter?

Also the winter conditions has washed away a lot of the surface and most of the downward section at Whinlatter was loose rocks of some considerable size, and at that time I wished I'd brought my mountain bike rather than a hybrid. It would not have been possible on a road bike.

Surprisingly I found it hard to find accommodation even in February! In Whitehaven before starting things seemed to be full, and I ended up in less than average accommodation.

In Alston again things were busy and third call found me a bed for the night. Probably worth booking up but I didn't really know how far I would pedal day one and it can be frustrating if you are going well and then have to stop for your digs.

From Alston I just had to stay on roads to Hexham and picked up the Hadrian Route as some of the off road tracks were impassable at the moment.

The North Tyne Hadrians way is a joy, always in good condition. The bit from Scotswood to Quayside could be better - too many crossings at lights but then you are entering a busy city I guess.

Good luck if you are doing this in 2012.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.