We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Wigan Beginner Cycle Routes

nige1966 19 Jul 11:24  

Bike:

Hi all.

Just ordered myself a bike!

Need to try at least to get a little bit fitter and trimmer .........

Too many pies (being a Wigan lad!) over the years have not been kind to the ols waistline.

If anyone knows of any easy beginner bike routes around the Wigan, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

I do know of one around Orrell Lakes which I will be giving a go when my bike arrives.

Anymore, please let me know.

Cheers

Nige.

davey56 19 Jul 13:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
A good ride for the beginner are canals give the
Leeds & Liverpool Canal ago nice and flat mile posts and the odd watering hole have a look http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/

All the best Davy56

Rob500 19 Jul 15:00  

Bike:

Nige

Not sure where in Wigan you are, but I quite like going out towards Bolton Horwich Rivington Winter Hill etc..They can be a bit hilly though.I have also been out around Abram/ Hindley as well. (I live near Worsley)
The east Lancs Road is also pretty good, but the views aren't great!
It depends how far you want to go, I tend to do about 20 miles normally but if time allows then I have gone upto 40+
I'm not an expert or competitive cyclist, but have always enjoyed it.
If you enjoy it, you'll find you just keep going just to see where roads lead to!

Good luck and enjoy it

Rob

Sustrans48 22 Nov 15:54  

Bike:

Nigel,

As you may have probably already realised there are numerous tracks and trails around Wigan.

Ther is a route myself and friends use, which developed over a couple of years as we explored the various tracks around Wigan. We have named it, rather unimaginatively, the Wigan Loop.

You can view it on the Ordance Survey site by;

clicking on Explore
Enter Wigan in the place to view box
choosing Wigan Loop in the other Search results section

The beauty of this route is you can enter it at numerous points.

if you need any furthe info on the route please contact me on jim_taylor48@yahoo.com

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.