We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

New to Cycling

BlakeySFC 09 Jul 22:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi All,

Looking to seriously get into Cycling.

Used to cycle around Alice Holt every other sunday when i was a kid, but looking to get more seriously and hopefully be able to do a 25km route by the end of the year.

I've got a mountain bike at the moment, but would I need to relatively decent road bike in order to get the most out of the cycle routes in this area?

Or would my mountain bike be perfectly capable on road routes?

Also, is there any clubs/associations in the area that I could join in order to get into the swing of things?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blake.

My Latest Route: Aug 2012 Farnham to Guildford (christmaspie Route)
Gav-la 10 Jul 08:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Blake

I would stick with the bike you have initially, rather than spend the money and find after a month you no longer want to ride.
I live near Alice Holt Forest, and for a year I rode my cheap old mountain bike, on the road it was fine until eventually it fell apart. I then bought an entry level road bike, which I love but wish I had a better set of gearing for the hills around our way.

There are some good local clubs around Farnham, seem very friendly but I tend to ride alone and use MAPMYRIDE app.

I enter charity rides and Evans 'Ride-it' rides to keep me motivated and have a reason to go out on a rainy Sunday morning.

BlakeySFC 10 Jul 10:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Would it be a good idea to lock the shocks on the Bike I've got (Marin Full Suspension) and maybe get a pair of Road tyres or would the tyres I have on there already be perfectly sufficient for the road?

Gav-la 10 Jul 10:12  

Bike:

My Profile
If your road riding 99% of time yes lock the shocks. The only mod i did to my mountain bike was fit continental road tyres, made a noticable difference to the ride.

Since having the road bike ive fitted Schwalbe tyres, expensive but sick of punctures on our poorly maintained roads and SPD shoes/pedals. And spent decent money on a good helmet.

BlakeySFC 11 Jul 10:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the advice Gav-La.

IRISHDAVE1 20 Jul 07:39  

Bike:

Hi, Im moveing to West Molesey this week. Im just getting into my riding and I am curently averageing 25 miles per day round trip to work which will be cut to around 12 miles per day when I move address. I would like to start riding properly at the weekends, can anyone assist with clubs or routes in West Molesey, Kingston upon Thames area

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.