We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Interested in your favourite weekend journeys/England routes

KevinSherm 18 Mar 13:00  

Bike:

I moved to England rencenlty and one of the big draws was the thought of hopping on a train from London, getting to some small town/village somewhere in the country, finding a nice B&B to stay, and spending all day Saturday and Sunday riding through the idyllic English countryside. 6 months in, I'm still talking and not actually doing. Until this weekend...

With nothing else scheduled, seemingly nice weather, I figured why not. The only problem is I have no clue where to go. So give me your thoughts. The only limitations I have are:

- Within a few hours trainride from London (I don't drive here)
- The route have to be simple enough for someone who is more-or-less navagationally illiterate
- Either 1 ride in the 70-100 mile range, with a place or 2 to stop in the middle of the day, or 2 rides (1 Sat., 1 Sun.) about 50-60 miles each
- The town where I'm staying has to be interesting enough to entertain me by myself for the night

Beyond these requirements, I'm totally open. So let's hear your thoughts. You have to have favourites, and after spending 26 years riding mostly through American suburbs, you don't have to worry about disappointing me.

Sophie 21 Mar 09:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Kevin,
I'm only pretty new to the cycling thing and a bit late for this weekend, so maybe not the best qualified on routes, but I have been cycling round the Cambridgeshire are mostly and it qualifies on several of your criteria. Cambridge itself is only about 2 hours from Kings Cross, and is a great city to entertain yourself in the evening. There are loads of cycle routes already on the site in the Cambridge area, some of which can be linked together to make longer routes nearer to your preferred distance. The routes I've added myself all start from Waterbeach as this is where I live, but it is only about 4 miles from Cambridge by road(bike) or one stop further up the train line.

Cheers,
Sophie

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Crowthorne Circular via Swallowfield

dudley 23 Mar 04:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Cambridge is only one hour - not two. Go from Liverpool St, i think. It's direct. It is flat as a pancake round there too.

If you are thinking 'a few hours train ride' from London as a starting point, then the whole of the UK is at your beck and call.

Edinburgh is only four hours away by train.
The Highlands and West Coast of Scotland only 2 or 3 more.

The mainline routes will get you a LONG way from London.
This is a good thing!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Sophie 23 Mar 16:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Dudley - I did say 'about' - it depends which train you get, what time of day, day of the week, which station you go from - I am sure you are familiar with the vagaries of the rail system in this country. Either Kings Cross or Liverpool Street will do it. Kings Cross is usually quicker.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Crowthorne Circular via Swallowfield

dudley 24 Mar 09:43  

Bike:

My Profile
apologies!

long time since i did that route.
Moved up to the frozen North!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Dino 31 Mar 14:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Kevin, What you need to do is get a train from London to Oxford and cycle to Stratford -upon - Avon. You can pick a number of routes that take you through quiet lanes, sleepy country villages and pubs & bed and breakfast/hotel type places - It can be a little hilly in parts, but nothing the averagly fit cyclist could not handle. By doing this you end up visiting two historic places in one. Oxford is particularly good to eat and drink. Better still get the train to Startford, use that as your staring point and cycle back to Oxford and then train home in no time. Job done. No brainer for me. I guess we are talking about 55 miles between cites. The National cycle route covers that 'Sustrans route' area, so planning the route can be even easier. Good Luck and welcome to the U.K.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Majors Green Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.