We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

American looking for touring partner/s or just advice

MattC2789 11 Jun 12:41  

Bike:

Hello,

I'm a 37 year old male from the US (Washington, DC) and I want to take a bicycle tour in the UK. My time off of work will only permit me to do something about a week long. I was thinking possibly riding from London up to Edinburg (or reverse) which is about 727 kilometers (452 miles). Was thinking to do this in the late summer or early fall (August or September). Is this an ok time of year to ride this area? What are the roads like? Are there lots of camping options along the way? Any other recommended UK routes? I'd like to do something where I either start and/or finish in London as I have always wanted to go there. Anyone care to join me?

A little about me. I am a casual cyclist. I commute to work by bike everyday but I am far from being a serious racer. I can probably ride about 80-130 kilometers a day over flatish terrian. 10 years ago I rode my bicycle across the USA (see my video link below). I prefer to camp when bike touring but am not opposed to staying at an occasional motel. I'm a pretty laid back guy and was looking for some like minded people who might like to do something like this.

Cheers! Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3lUcpAv-4

andyrox 15 Jun 19:09  

Bike:

Hi Mat my name is Andy i'm 42 male & based in the midlands UK.
August or September is probably the best time, but September starts to get cooler, not that it gets that hot in the first place, Nevada its not.
Weather wise at that time of year you could have anything from hot days to storms,
we had major floods last year in UK. Expect rain!!! although you may not get any, you more than likely will.
As far as London to Edinburgh goes, that's quite a trek by UK standards and a route would take quite some planing.
May i ask what sort of bike will you be using a road bike, MTB or hybrid?
The bike you use has a big impact on your route, your safest & probably most scenic way of doing it would be the canal system, which i am currently researching in the West Midlands area, other wise you would have to use the A road network.
By being based in the midlands my area would be your mid point on your route, hence the name.
If i can be of any assistance with your cycling trip in the UK feel free to email me at
andyrox1@live.co.uk
Who knows i may even join you on some of your route,
I look forward to your response regards Andy.

STID 16 Jun 18:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Matt, to add a little to the great advice from Andy, wear a helmet and bright clothing. Being seen especially if you are cycling on the road is most important. Also use lights in the day as most people are focused on getting to and back from work.

If you are riding on the road, set off after 9.00 as that will see the end of most of the rush hour traffic on all major roads into and out of all towns and cities. The evening rush hour can start about 16.30 up to 18.00.

Google maps is your greatest friend when it comes to routes, but stay off duel carriageways because they are fast and dangerous places to be.

Libraries will also stock maps of every part of the UK.

If you can afford it stay in a Bed & Breakfast (B&B) or guest house, usually cheap with a good breakfast, friendly, a bed and shower.

And yes it will rain so bring/buy waterproofs.

Good luck

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

TheManc 20 Jun 07:09  

Bike:

Hello Matt,

The advice given by the other people replying to your request for information is sound. If you have crossed the USA then you will know something about long distance riding. The key difference between cycling in the US and here is that we don't have the vast, open spaces where a cyclist doesn't have to worry about cars or heavy traffic. To go from London to Edinburgh or vice versa would require meticulous planning to do it via minor roads. It can be done in 7 days but it would be gruelling. Last year I did the Lands End to John O' Groats route (1,018 miles i.e.the full length of Britain) and it took a week to reach Scotland without the weight of panniers or equipment on the back of the bike.

To be honest, I think your idea is a bit over-ambitious. You might consider scaling down to fit the time frame and doing something like the coast to coast route which can be done in around 3 days then you could catch a train to either Edinburgh or London. There are two routes available: 1. The Way of the Roses, Morecambe to Bridlington and 2. The C2C route,Workington to Sunderland. Both are in the north of England. In Scotland, you might consider doing the Great Glen, Fort William to Inverness (a 2 day trip). Although Summer-August is not a bad time, it will rain and most Americans seem to feel the cold when they get up to the north of England or Scotland. Also, check out the Youth Hostel Association for cheap accommodation in both Scotland and England. You can contact me by e-mail if you want to discuss any of this further (beckett_king@hotmail.com). Meantime, good luck and all the best.

Tony

alexysc 06 Jul 09:52  

Bike:

Undertake a cycling tour in Russia! This wil give you quite a new experiance, while Europe is only
a mirror to your country.
Alex

alexysc 06 Jul 09:53  

Bike:

Undertake a cycling tour in Russia! This wil give you quite a new experiance, while Europe is only
Alex

alexysc 06 Jul 09:53  

Bike:

Alex

STID 07 Jul 12:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I see the morons have crawled out of the woodwork again. Not content with posting once, this idiot has to put the exact same post up 3 times, and managed to post something that has nothing to do with what the original asked.

Some peoples stupidity know no limits.

And the 'Moron Of The Decade' award goes to.....................................

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.