We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Uk - Madrid early 2013

purpleblur 23 Dec 07:45  

Bike:

Hello everybody,

I've decided to have my mid-life crisis slightly early (I'm 27). I gor swept up in the magic of cycling over the summer, bought a road bike, now regularly cycle to and from work and manage to get out for a few longer rides depending on the weather.

In early 2013 I'm moving to Madrid to improve my Spanish and have decided that rather than fly, I'd like to cycle through France and Spain instead, document the journey as I go and attempt to collate into book at the other end.

I'm really looking for some advice on this. It is roughly 1000 miles, which if I take a month means roughly 33 miles per day, are there good places to stop off? For the purposes of the book, I will need to visit some interesting places that give a feel of the diversity of different areas. Have you embarked on a similar journey, did you come across some good projects/guesthouses?

At the moment my pencilled route is Salisbury (where I live) to Poole, ferry to Cherbourg then down the coast via Nantes. While this is the most direct route, it means I will miss Paris, Andorra and Barcelona which would be of real interest to me.

CAn somebody please help with any insight into the types of road that I'm likely to encounter? Also whether or not it is worth adding miles to go across to Dover then through Paris, Andorra and Cataluna.

Would welcome any input from experienced cyclicts.
Thanks

Christopher
christopherpanks@hotmail.co.uk
Read more at http://www.cycle-route.com/forum/General-Chat-mammoth-journey-advice-please-Thread-4748.html#BUwme8XEEx5GA3xY.99

rustyspoke 25 Dec 11:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Well first thing i will say is good luck to you
Well 33 miles a day makes it sound easy but if your using a road bike by that i mean one not fitted for touring you will have to travel very light and as for weather depends on when you set off also everyday on a bike carrying a load of stuff is hard work.
I have done big distance rides although on every occasion i have had the help of a back up crew and that helps a lot.
Remeber you will have to carry wet weather clothes as well as dry you will have eat and drink correctly as this kind of day after day riding will take it out of you.
As for roads you will find some very good roads and some not so good depends on your route.

BusterG 27 Dec 03:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah good luck.
It will be tough on a road bike to carry the gear and bits n pieces you will need.
I followed this guy's trip from north to south spain - it may help you.
http://www.pedrodiaz.com/cycling/spain2008.php

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

rustyspoke 29 Dec 05:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Hows your planning going

winnersh cyclist 06 Jan 16:36  

Bike:

My Profile
would recommend that you get local sims with data as they will enable you to stay in contact and find your way around . if on Iphone or Android Michelin , Nav Free and Google have bike safe routes.
Sims are available online through ebay.
You should be able to do 50+ a day if not working hard .
I wish you well and wish I could afford the time and or money to do the same

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.