We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Tips for Cycling in France

alanjerram 08 Apr 07:51  

Bike:

Myself and a group of friends are cycling for charity from Southampton to Paris in July via St Malo. Anyone have a definitive guide as to what we need to take with us in the way of cycle equip (ie what are the French laws?).

We're going to be camping throughout the trip and are aiming to do the 272 miles in around 6 days... finishing with a small lap of Paris and the sites!

We're about to book ferry and a rail return (sadly too much time off work to cycle back as well!) and then hopefully the camp sites...any advice about booking them? Do most of the owners speak English (as my Francais isn't what it used to be 20 odd years ago!).

Thanks
Al

LukeW 08 Apr 15:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Al,

I cycled from London to Paris in September, and organised it myself. I camped all the way. Booking the sites isn't a problem - if you can speak French. I managed to fudge my way through a few phone calls but had to end up getting a friend to call one or two to book. Email might be a good option as it gives the recipient time to translate. Especially as you've got a bit of time. In September there was absolutely no need to book as I was practically the only person in some of the sites. July might be different though, especially as there is a group of you. I actually met a couple who were touring from Italy and said they just found some quiet woods en route and camped there. Although I'm not sure if that's recommended...

As lots of people will tell you, cycling in France is really good. The roads are generally better quality, quieter and the drivers seemed to be very polite to cyclists - giving lots of distance when overtaking. Maybe other people would like to share their experiences?

Laws? Well the one that comes to mind is that you HAVE to wear a proper CE certified hi-viz vest at night - or face a 135 euro fine -

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-cycling-holiday/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=37536

This might also be helpful - http://biketrip.org/wiki/France - though I'd recommend going somewhere official to get the rules of the road for cyclists...

alanjerram 09 Apr 08:53  

Bike:

Cheers Luke - some good tips there - will check the websites out and start to gen up on my French!!!!

Col 30 Jun 12:39  

Bike:

Hello,

Firstly I am so happy you started this site as it has given me the hope that you can do London to Paris on your own with no need for a massive organised party!

I have a few questions and am sorry if you have had these 100 times before! Me and a few friends are thinking of setting off in August, the route is not a problem as you seem to have a lot of info on it, I was just wondering how much kit you took with you and how you stored it and what kind of tent you took with you, my group seem to think its impossible without a support car but you are living proof it isn't :-)

I look forward to hearing from you!

Colette.

edwin 04 Jul 07:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Colette,

no worries!

last years spring I did a camping tour on bikes in France with my 10 year old son. I had two small bike bags in the front, two large bike bags on the sides of the rear rack. The tent an the sleeping bags were wrapped in the air mattresses and fixed on the rear rack.
My sun had bike bags in the rear, but we only stuffed light things into.
The tent and the air mattresses are quite heavy, so there is no easy riding up the hills. If you don't need the luxury, air mattresses can easily be exchanged by termarests. They are much lighter. But on the route from London to Paris you don't have to cross the Himalaya, so weight is not really an issue as long as you don't carry it on your back and you are not into racing.

Cheers

Edwin

johnboy53 03 Mar 04:55  

Bike:

A good camping guide by michelin ,it lists most of the sites in france including municiples which are very cheap and well run you can as we did plan your route by them ,the only french I knew is camping un nuit deux person + a couple of other words ..we went from calais to san sebastian in spain it took us a month but a great experienc good luck

LauraG 18 Mar 08:01  

Bike:

Hi, I'm a 21 year old woman who would like to plan a two week cycle trip this May. I'm a beginner cyclist and will probably be going alone, so my first priority is safety...First of all, is this even a good idea or should I find an organized tour? Assuming I stick to daylight, are most of the trails like desoate, in the middle of nowhere, or will there be enough other bikers on the trails for me to feel safe? Also, any suggestions about where to go would be super helpful- I live in Paris now so France would be convenient but like I said my priorities are safety and logistics (route where I can stay in hostels rather than camp)...Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Laura

skiad1 18 Mar 18:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Two weeks....Paris-Nice....Ride to the sun then enjoy some beach time before hopping on a train back to Paris.....Loads of safe routes and great accom options. Incidentally, for routes I use when riding in France, I use Michelin 1:200000 maps. In my experience, and though I'm not a female(I've met many on the road over the years), you'll be perfectly safe. It's your fears that hold you back, reality is that you'll be fine. Have you a like minded friend? You could try looking for a ride partner.....

ravanax 18 Dec 02:15  

Bike:

My Profile
fffffffffffff

henrryyy 19 Dec 03:46  

Bike:

My Profile
That sounds like an exciting and meaningful adventure you and your friends have planned! When it comes to cycling in France, there are a few essential items and knowledge about local laws that you need to keep in mind. Firstly, make sure you have a well-maintained bike with functioning lights, reflectors, and a bell. It's also compulsory to wear a helmet while cycling in France. Additionally, carrying a set of spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, and basic tools for bike maintenance is recommended. As for camping, it's a great choice for accommodation during your trip. When booking campsites, it's advisable to check their availability in advance, especially during capcut template. While not all campsite owners may speak English fluently, many are accustomed to interacting with international visitors and can communicate effectively. It might be helpful to have a few basic French phrases or use translation apps to facilitate communication during your stay.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.