We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

St Malo to Malaga in April first ride on bike

shazza3939 10 Mar 09:14  

Bike:

My wife says I am crazy in less than a month I will pack some gear on a cheap mountain bike and cycle from St Malo to Nerja.I have been a smoker for 30 years given up for a few weeks totaly unfit with no training.
Will I make it?

txbnet 11 Mar 03:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I think if you fail to prepare then you prepare to fail. You should be doing at least 80 miles regularly twice a week to get your body conditioned to the journey ahead. I guess you may get away with 30 miles a day after no training and get fitter along the way but as its probably about 900 miles at that rate it would take you a month! Do you have that kind of time available?

What are you doing to maintain your bike, if something snaps have you got any contingency plan?

Have you sorted out drinks and food for the ride?

I wish you all good luck, keep this site updated with your progress!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

dudley 11 Mar 03:17  

Bike:

My Profile
blimey!
there's a challenge!

usually, it's "i haven't ridden before, is there a canal path i can ride on without going near cars?"

1,080 miles by road (including motorways)

assume about 1,200 miles or so on more cycle friendly roads.

even with the lack of fitness, heavy load, and heavy bike, you should manage it if you give yourself at least a FULL month, and don't set impossible deadlines.

this equates to an average of 40 miles a day.

If you average 3 hours slow and steady riding in the morning, and the same in the afternoons, that is an average speed of under 7 miles an hour. Do 30 miles first few days, and you'll be knocking on 50 milers by the end of the month.
If you want a day off every week, it will take longer than a month

The first week will be a real killer / shock to the system

Spend the next month getting in a few rides of 20 to 30 miles if you can. Don't worry about speed. Get your legs moving, get your ar*e used to the saddle, and work (slowly) on a bit of cardio fitness. see if you can do 3 or 4 rides a week, and try a few back to back days.

Spend half an hour with your doctor

get slick tyres for the bike, not knobblies.

sounds like a mission of a lifetime - don't go all out on day one and hurt yourself! Build up over the month, and you'll come home happy!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

shazza3939 11 Mar 04:49  

Bike:

Just to update everyone I will be leaving Portsmouth for St Malo on the 8th April and I fly back from Malaga on the 8th May. So I have four weeks to cycle the route. My wife will keep everyone posted on my progress as she will be awaiting my arrival in Nerja.

dudley 11 Mar 07:00  

Bike:

My Profile
good luck!
a mental battle as well as a physical one

heading towards the sun won't hurt, though!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

txbnet 26 Mar 02:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Two weeks to take off shazza, how is your training going? Are you leaving your bike in Nerja or getting one of those trendy bike bags to fly it back? I've thought about cycling to the sun, but everywhere is so far from the NE of England that all my hols would be used up just getting down to a cross channel ferry! If I did something like you are tackling, I'd like to think I didn't have to abandon my bike but I can't imagine Ryanair or Sleazyjet allowing a bike in the hold without a lot of fuss! Good luck

txbnet 21 Jun 06:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Did you make it????

shazza3939 21 Jun 15:07  

Bike:

Yes I am pleased to say I made it. It was an adventure and I have some interesting stories to tell. Now I'm looking for a new cxhallenge. Thanks for you interest in my story.

BusterG 12 Jul 15:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Shazza. Respect for the achievement.
I am super interested in doing something like that on a similar route.
Do you have a blog or "account" of your ride somewhere?
Thanks Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

annieslandmissile 12 Jul 15:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Wow that s some challenge! good luck! if can get a bit of prep in, that ll be the secret!! but it sounds great. Just think of all the amazing places you ll visit and see! you camping? or b&b?

Silver50 17 Aug 05:32  

Bike:

I plan to cycle Barcelona to Malaga area October for Charity down the east Coast - any advice folks. reasonably fir so hope to achive 40 - 60 miles perday

jackfrostenson 14 Aug 03:27  

Bike:

My Profile
thanks ...

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.