We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

HELP Andover to San Sebastian Cycle

Whitehead 09 Feb 11:30  

Bike:

I am a non cyclist and have been asked to plan a cycle route for a friend . I don't have a clue what I am doing and am therefore in desperate need of help and advice.

My friend wants to cycle from Andover to Folkestone where he will cross to Calais via Euro Tunnel. From Calais proceed along the North coast of France cutting across to around to Nantes and then hugging the West coast all the way to San Sebastian. I have been requested to plan 75/80 miles cycling per day keeping off all motorways and busy roads, trying to use smaller roads where possible as long as it doesn't deviate too far off course.

Is there anybody out there who can give me some advice on the best routes here in the UK and in France/Spain.

ramsap 05 Mar 08:01  

Bike:

You can do most of it on the Voies Vertes routes, either along quiet roads or the sides of canals.Lots of info on these new routes and they are marked on French maps. Doing it myself in May.

anerley bicycle club 07 Mar 18:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi there,
If you have no idea of s suitable route, might I suggest that you go to the ViaMichelin web site. This provides maps and routes. Go to the Routes section and put in, for example Andover to Folkstone, and it will provide a route for you.Better than that, and what makes it especially useful (over for example Google maps) is that on the left of the map, and below the places that you have entered, is a route options section. This includes a bicycle route option. This is as good as you are likely to get, unless someone has local knowledge of an area.
Note that the scenic bits of road are marked with a green edge, so you can modify your routes to follow the most scenic roads. Right click to alter a route and the change in mileage is also updated.
I have recently used it to plan out a 12 day tour in northern Spain, to the Picos de Europa mountains.
Des Donohoe of the Anerley Bicycle Club.

My Latest Route: Nov 2012 Croydon to Tea Room At Knockholt, and Back.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.