We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Getting your Bike to Europe in 2011

nitro 25 Feb 12:54  

Bike:

Hi All,
Are you thinking about taking the bike abroad in 2011? Just to let you know, you don't need to take the ferry to France any more. Now you can extend your trip much farther afield and reach countries which were impossible to reach up to now. Hi All, Thinking about taking the bike abroad in 2011? Just to let you know, you don't need to take the ferry to France any more.Now you can extend your trip farther afield and reach countries which were impossible to reach in two weeks. You simply take a Ryanair flight to a European city and pick up your bike at the other end from the Overlanders Truck and ride off for two weeks. Enjoy travelling farther into Europe or even North Africa, and see places which were impossible to get to before now. Norway, Slovenia, Morocco, Spain. You decide!
Overlanders are an Irish company set up to transport Motorcycles, this has been so successful that they have been requested by Irish Cyclists to provide a similar service to them. Go to the Overlanders website for more information. www.overlanders.ie

cycleit 24 Jun 03:17  

Bike:

Thanks for this but have you ever tried taking a bike on Ryanair? 'Just' going on Ryanair means going through hell, I have done this several times and will never do so again. E.g. being asked to put my bike through the xray machine 'because there might be explosives in the tubes' - then when it didn't fit in the machine being told I would have to send it by freight at huge cost (eventually, with mins to spare, someone scanned it 'for explosives' with a hand machine. Also, being tole my bike was not packed correctly even when I had folled Ryanair's instructions, these are just a couple of the many problems I have encountered with this airline who see cyclists as a problem in my experience.

Yes I like the idea of flying and coach but not unless Ryanair stop treating cyclists like this!

dudley 24 Jun 10:46  

Bike:

My Profile
i think the point is you don't have to take the cycle through Ryanair, THEY do it for you.
could be wrong, though?
If you had to do it, they wouldn't have a business.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

cycleit 24 Jun 11:37  

Bike:

Oh whoops sorry, I think I went into one seeing the words Ryanair...

winnersh cyclist 23 Sep 04:01  

Bike:

My Profile
I absolutely hate Ryanair and thats without any bikes they are the nearest thing to a south american bus with people carrying chickens experience. next worse is Easyjet

Bicycle Friends 24 Sep 11:09  

Bike:

My Profile
If not that in love with your own bicycle, rental is worth considering. Pricing in general is about 10 euro a day in Western Europe, but in Ghent is extremely cheap. A robust bicycle at Max Mobiel is 25 euro a .... month!
Check their pricing list at http://www.max-mobiel.be/default.aspx?PageId=36 For helmets, panniers, ... you pay a bit extra.

dudley 26 Sep 08:04  

Bike:

My Profile
i'll agree about Ryanair. absolute bandits.
Easyjet, in my experience, however, are fantastic.
have used very regularly for several years, without delays on only about 5% of flights.

never pay for extras like 'speedy boarding' (everyone gets there at the same time! some people really are fools!)

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.