We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cheapest way to get to Spain with bike

emma2323 07 Apr 05:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Folks,

I want to go cycling in Spain this year and have been looking at Brittany ferry prices just to get to Spain. Its coming out at £330.00 each.

Thats seems a lot....does anyone have any tips on how to get there a lot cheaper please but taking my MB?

Emma

jonsea 07 Apr 11:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello,

you don't say where you live , but have a look at easyjet from Stanstead to Bilbao ( virtually the same destination as Brittany ferries in Spain ). I have just found a return flight 27th June , returning on 19th July for the very reasonable sum of £139 return including up to 20kgs of luggage and a BIKE !! Hope this is of some help to you !

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

rustyspoke 08 Apr 07:31  

Bike:

My Profile
If you know any continental truck drivers see if they can help or in cycling mag there is a coach service that cyclist use to get to europe they also take your bike look in Cycling weelky know to all cyclist as the comic.

emma2323 09 Apr 08:55  

Bike:

My Profile
This is great thanks folks. I live in midlands so have access to various airports but like the Stanstead flight idea.

Thanks very much :-)

DavidB 09 Apr 16:07  

Bike:

Hi
I am off cyling to Majorca and Menorca on the 19th of April for a long weekend and I am flyig there with Easyjet from Gatwick airport. Flight cost me £150 all in.
I am actually looking for a cycle buddy for this trip as my other buddy dropped out. If interested I can send you details?
Good Luck
David
London

skiad1 11 Apr 15:36  

Bike:

My Profile
You can't even ride there as cheaply as flying! Do your research before you fly. As it sounds like you're going to take your bike to ride, rather than tour, you'll have to consider what you'll do with your bag/box at the other end, keeping it for the return journey. You'll hear some real horror stories about damage to bikes being transported by plane but the only damage I've ever suffered was a bent fork end(hadn't reinforced diy bike box underneath the forks well enough) and bent rack. I've flown a few times with a few different airlines, & though there's always that nagging doubt about your bike, that you don't have travelling by train/ferry, I'll fly again...it's by far the cheapest option.

Best of luck!

emma2323 14 Apr 14:07  

Bike:

My Profile
brilliant some really good advice there about flights and prices some up for august including bike and baggage at 175! Bargain!

All have to do now is get a bike bag...and tips or suggestions??

Thanks very much really useful information.

Emma

jonsea 14 Apr 14:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello again ,
E bay seems to be the place to find a bike transport bag , they seem to be around £40 to £60.
Hope this helps !!

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

skiad1 14 Apr 15:03  

Bike:

My Profile
I've always used a cardboard box, the ones bikes arrive at the shops in. They're free, well mine have been, but you have the problem(as you will have with any form of storage) of what you do with it whilst on tour. If you're booking a 'base' riding trip then it's no problem. If your start/finish points are different, or you have nowhere to store your box, then you have a problem. I've acquired boxes from continental bike shops without problem but had to make my own returning from last summer's tour as I couldn't source a bike shop where I finished. The other advantage is you have loads more storage than with hardbox or bag. I usually add my tent, rollmat, dirty washing(on the return leg) & assorted sundries. One word of advice. Having had to open my carefully sealed box so the nice customs man could squeeze my tent & glance briefly inside the box,& the ensuing panic when the nice customs man realised I had no more tape(hey, would you carry spare tape in your hand luggage?), means I now carry spare tape. You must do your homework on how to pack your bike though. I try to leave the rear wheel in and have become pretty adept at fashioning compression members(help prevent crushing) to help prevent movement/crushing.

Best of luck!

emma2323 14 Apr 15:06  

Bike:

My Profile
fantastic thanks fellow cyclers :-)

All very very useful as first time for me so welcome any advice thank you!

Em

skiad1 14 Apr 15:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Oh, chain reaction cycles do a popular, and recommended, bike bag. I got one in the sale for 50 quid, or so, but haven't used it yet so can't comment on its worth....

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.