We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Tyre Air Pressure?

forlinianslip 03 Sep 01:29  

Bike:

My Profile
On paved roads in good weather, I typically keep my tyre pressure at the max 80 p.s.i., hoping for less road resistance.

What would you suggest for a touring bike on the broken down Gen. Wade's Military Road which has is graveled and uneven, non-compact gravel washed out sections?

forlinianslip 08 Sep 04:42  

Bike:

My Profile
I made it down the harsh rock-strewn trail (14 miles down hill) with an inflation of 70 psi without any problems. (Tyre manufacture says 80 is max.)

mattk 10 Sep 04:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Sorry I may be a little late with this comment, you really need a happy medium - if you let them down too much you risk damaging the rims but at the same time if they're at to high a pressure you risk not having enough grip. I'd suggest around 60psi for fairly loose and even gravel.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

globalfish 27 Nov 19:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Wow that's high (in relation to my MTB), bet the ride is harsh :-)
I run about 35-40psi tubeless on my MTB

starbuck 28 Nov 04:16  

Bike:

A little word of warning about high pressures on paved roads(with MTB tyres), you have a higher risk of punctures as there is less "give" with the tyre when riding over all the rubbish(broken glass, nails etc) that you find on the road.

I haven't had punctures for years, started riding on the road more and increased the pressures in my tyres. I've now had 2 punctures, with a large nail in a tyre. Also, when I checked my tyres, there were quite a few small stones embedded in them.

Tyre pressure is always a trade off between high pressure for speed and a lower pressure to reduce risk of puncture and not have a hard ride. To try and get a good mix, I got some continental double fighters(1.8in width instead of normal 2.2 for MTB's) and run them about 45psi. This seems about the best balance for me as I want to reduce puncture risk.

If you are riding on gravel paths, you will need a slightly lower PSI to still absorb all the bumps, while giving you good speed.

Unfortunately, it is all a case of trial and error, as it also depends on weather, rider weight(not just your own weight but also what you are carrying if anything) and where you are going. There is a reason why mountain bikers offroad often run PSI's in the 20's.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.