We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Chain slippage - help!

Martin48 01 May 15:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Can anyone out there help me with a fairly recent problem, please? Every now and then, I get a noise from the transmission which, judging by the feeling through the pedals, is the chain slipping rather than gears changing. My local bike shop's initial analysis is wear on the chainset. However, this happens even on the smallest chainwheel (28 teeth) which is used rarely. My bike is a Trek 7100fx. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Martin

My Latest Route: Jul 2017 halstead route
i.dea 02 May 06:43  

Bike:

Hi Martin, I had the same thing a couple of years ago and was told it was "wear" so spent £100 on parts and a service, only for it to start again the following year, and I definitely don't do enough miles to cause wear and tear in such a short time.
It is a most perculiar feeling when your riding, it's like having an auto gearbox, but you don't actually change into another gear yuou just come out of gear and smoothley back into the same gear. Mostley it happens when in middle gear at front and top gear at the back.
I have a Specialized Hardrock.

ozzie51 03 May 19:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi ,
I had this and found the rear Deraileur was twisted very slightly.
John

Martin48 04 May 01:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi ozzie and i.dea

Thank you for your replies. I am far from convinced that it is wear on the chainset or back cogs. Ozzie, I shall mention your comment, about the twisted rear derailleur, to my bike shop person and see what he says.

Martin

daveriley1973 07 May 07:42  

Bike:

Hi,

have you checked the stretch on your chain? Have a look on park tools website and they take you through how to do that with their tool, alternatively there are a number of videos on youtube that will show you how to do it.

If the chain is worn it will damage the teeth on your cassette's which will mean you have to get a new set - catch it soon enough and all you have to do is change the chain which is a ten minute job.

Good luck!

Dave

Martin48 08 May 11:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you, Dave. Well, my LBS checked out the problem for me, beginning with the obvious culprit but, after changing the chain, the slippage was still there. So, they changed the cassette and put my old chain back but still no success. Logically then, they thought that both the chain and cassette were worn - and they were right! So - problem solved!

winnersh cyclist 02 Sep 14:27  

Bike:

My Profile
a bit late however I had same problem changed the cassette and chain problem solved in fact was sweet after that previously had become a bit rough

happy 02 Sep 15:58  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
I think when you start to get problems like that with the chain or chainset it gets to the stage where it's all or nothing. Expensive yes, but at least you know that everything is at the same level again so to speak.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

rustyspoke 03 Sep 05:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Is it a nine speed casset on the rear these are very prone to ware out quicker than others dont know why but I have found this over time.
Make sure all sprockets are in good condition and chain is sitting properly on each sprocket as you change up and down do this on stand in workshop or shed.
Make sure cable tension is correct.
Also check chain is free and no stiff links.
Make sure also that is is lubricated properly.
I know this may be the dont teach me to suck eggs thing but dont go chucking money at cycle shops unless you know they have a good mechanic.
My mechanic rides every day and races so I know i can trust him also I do a fair bit myself.

leelee 04 Mar 05:26  

Bike:

My Profile
cheack cogs back /cluster/ for bent tooth an derailer spring for tension chains do wear

rustyspoke 04 Mar 09:23  

Bike:

My Profile
First question how old is chain and is it worn or stretched.
Next question how old is block (casset)
Are the cleaned and lubed up on a regular basis
Check tension on cables
and check everything before spending money start with simple things before you spend loads.
If chain is worn when you change it you get correct pitch chain to replace it.
If you change chain I would advise replacing casset as well as for the chain ring I have only had to replace these on very occasions.
If you cant do the job yourself try to find a good local cycle mechanic who will do the job but as long as you have all tools its not that difficult.

MGA 31 Mar 18:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Chains and sprockets should be replaced together, if not the old parts will cause premature wear on the parts that are new.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bradley Fold to Holmes Chapel

leelee 16 May 17:40  

Bike:

My Profile
chains stretch it happens my racer i had for 15 year no trouble mtb 2 year less than 2000 miles later gears not right change to early or to late week later just a little worse week later so on so on end game cannot get up a subway ramp old bikes were made with thicker parts todays parts are thinner by nature as are machined down for quick change step on cogs also by using your small gear you increse the preesure on back cog
change your chain an back gears you can tell if your cogs an chain are streeeeeched bye picking back wheel up an turning cranck very slowly tooth by tooth look between deraler wheel and gears to see chain ride on top of teeth every 5 or 7 then to slip back on till 5 7 later happy cyclin

dawes-rider 17 May 16:38  

Bike:

My Profile
heres a piece of advice given to me
when going to the expence of replacing cassett and chain buy two chains and change every 1000 or so miles it make the whole lot last twice as long!

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.