We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Walsall to Birmingham Daily? how tough?

FelixLiu 07 Feb 13:20  

Bike:

Hello Guys,

I am an average guy who does average job lives in an average place (WS2 8) in Walsall, My office in an average place in Birmingham (B12 0).

I want to ride to work, the way to go by car was M6 or A34 right? After spoke to a few of my local bike shops I have to kill the idea of A34, as every time I mention that they seems to believe that I am considering suicide. Anyway, cut the long story short, I am thinking of going by Route 49.
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/birmingham-to-walsall-cycle-route

just wondering if you guys think
1, is an average guy can do this every day
2, what kind of bike do I need for this any suggestions
3, is anyone out there doing this already so we can team up, I need to get in my office by 9:00

Thanks

Felix

smithie 08 Feb 13:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

You could probably do it all on canals which is obviously a traffic-free option.

The canal out of Brum is excellent and very quiet.

I agree that sections of the A34 would feel risky especially around Perry Barr.

Distance-wise though it's certainly doable.

dudley 09 Feb 09:10  

Bike:

My Profile
the issue of commuting on cycle tracks / canal paths etc is an interesting one.
By its nature, commuting is about getting there and back, usually as quickly as possible, and often in the dark.

generally, a cycle friendly route is longer, and has a surface that is slower (canal path / old rail bed etc)
This isn't an issue if your commute is 3-6 miles or so, but if you are aiming at 10 / 15 / 20 miles each way, a longer / slower route may well put you off on those more marginal days, and defeat the purpose.

I find the cycle paths on offer for my 15 mile route into and out of Edinburgh add at least 5 to 10 minutes onto the journey, and are far tougher on my road bike than the pothole strewn roads.

I take the main road - direct route. It's quicker, so i do it more often.
It is not a safe, though. That's the balance, i suppose!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

smithie 09 Feb 09:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I guess it's horses for courses.

I try and take a relaxed attitude to cycling and have decided that an extra 5 or 10 minutes isn't a problem....especially if I feel safer using off-road routes.

There are thousands of miles of under-used canal and dedicated cycle routes that make biking a pleasure. I can't say I get much pleasure out of road riding in Birmingham where I live. Everybody's on their mobile phone, thousands of uninsured vehicles driven by selfish drivers, I could go on.....

Ultimately, you'll find a route you prefer.

I might even come with you and try the route out if you want!!!

FelixLiu 24 Feb 09:48  

Bike:

Hello Guys,

thanks for the replies,

a quick update: I got a Trck 7300 and a Defy 3 (2010 spec which is the same with Defy 2 2011 spec).

I will try both routes and make my mind up.

many thanks for your replies.

P.S, I also got a few apps for GPS tracking on my iphone, will updates some routes I did and write up some notes for it.

smithie 24 Feb 10:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Splendid. And what a day for a ride today!!

FelixLiu 24 Feb 12:10  

Bike:

Hi Smithie,

I am in my car today :-(

Felix

ms.creant 20 Sep 19:09  

Bike:

so...how was it? and how long did it take. I am thinking of going in the opposite direction, once a week, (which means i'll be in less-good shape for it) but have no concept of how long it would take.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.