We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

chain slipping

andy 1972 13 Feb 15:33  

Bike:

My Profile
hi looking for some help/advice when im going up hill my chain seems too be slipping its as if its trying to change gear has anybody had this trouble and if so what can i do to fix it any info will be greatly appreciated
cheers andy

BusterG 14 Feb 09:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Andy
this is faily common and could be a couple of causes. usually a combination. your local bike shop should be able to tell you what is causing it and how much it will cost to fix it.

the symptom is more noticeable on hills because that is generally when the drive train is under more pressure and the rear derailleur springs are at max stretch reaching for largest cogs.

1) gear cable wear and tear has caused the cable to stretch
2) rear derailier springs are worn or faulty
3) Chain and cassette teeth are worn giving bad contact on the drive train
4) rear derailleur might be skew ( if itr has taken a knock).

Good luck and respect for cycling in this weather. I am sure wet parts dont help either.

Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

andy 1972 17 Feb 17:01  

Bike:

My Profile
cheers buster speaking to the bloke from the bike shop he said take it in hell give it a look at
yip it was tough going last week snow wind and rain but thats the great scottish weather ye just got to get on with it

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.