We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Chris Boardman bikes

1 2 3 > >>
dudley 12 Mar 09:11  

Bike:

My Profile
As a general rule, i wont buy anything from Halfords. Their standard range is woeful and their staff knowledge is pitiful. They are a chain pumping volume over quality.

However, they are now exclusive stockists of the new(ish)Chris Boardman Range.

I like the look of them, and they seem reasonable priced against their competitors.

Anyone have any experience of them?

thanks in advance

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular
Routerider 13 Mar 11:20  

Bike:

I have seen the new range and I have lst years hybrid Hardtail, I dont think I have had a better bike for the money. I uderstand the worry regarding halfords, but Mine was set up well and have had no problem, they recently sent out an email regarding the new range which is a lot bigger than last years.

Im contemplating getting a hard tail mtb from the new 09 boardman range anyonbe got any advice on which one?

cazp 16 Mar 08:38  

Bike:

I recently purchased a Boardman Team 08 Road Bike and I must say it is absolutely fantastic.

I understand the problems with Halfords as the staff are very hit and miss - I'm lucky enough to have a chap in my local store who knows everything about Boardmans however if he's off the others don't have a clue!

However don't let this put you off my was set up fine and I also managed to get it on the cycle to work scheme and on the weekend when there was an extra 10% off so it went from £900 to £616 an absolute steal!

I can safely say it is the best purchase i've ever made - i've already done 600 miles on it in the last 5 weeks with the only problem being 1 puncture. I will soon be purchasing the Baordman 09 Team Mountain Bike to accompany it as I am so impressed with the range!

The specifications on it are incredible and if the parts were purchased seperately it would add up to a hell of a lot more than the bike is retailing for. Fair play to Chris Boardman and the team that put these together as they have obviously done their research - I hope Chris Hoy does the same when he brings his out!

dudley 16 Mar 09:11  

Bike:

My Profile
thanks guys

time to spend lots to save lots!!!

thought it was good - but keen to hear from those that have one.

dudley 29 Jun 06:19  

Bike:

My Profile
still waiting for the cycle to work scheme 'window' to open again in our company.

I have read lots of reviews now on the Boardman, and they are all good, EXCEPT there is a recurring spokes issue with the wheels. Seems that they are not properly tightened at assembly by Halfords, and people have had no end of bother resolving issues with this.

Any experience?

any advice?

still think it looks like a belter for the money, given the cycle to work limit of £1000

spenner 01 Jul 08:41  

Bike:

My company are in the cycle2work scheme so I have just ordered the Boardman Road-Team bike (£799.99).
I have had problems with Halford’s ordering the bike for me, they should have done this at the beginning of June, as I was going on holiday, but I found on my return they hadn’t done anything. I have managed to get them to order the bike today so I should have it in the next week or so.

As soon as I get it I will let you all know what I think.

One bit of advice I would give is to order one soon they sell out fast.

L3EOO 01 Jul 09:37  

Bike:

the boardman bikes are great value for money higher spec than others in price range, the only issue is dealing with halfords which is most often staffed by non-cyclists

thank god my work went with Evans for the cycle to work scheme

dudley 01 Jul 10:35  

Bike:

My Profile
we have a choice of Evans or Halfords, but i think the boardman bikes are only available through Halfords.

there are excellent schemes that promote the small local shops, but this are often bypassed by larger companies with a National presence.

This is a real shame as the local guys have local knowledge and give a great service.

I would spend a little extra to go local, but not give up the massive cycle-to-work savings

i will be having another 'word' with head office, all the good it will do me!

banbowers 24 Jul 04:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all I have just bought a Boardman road comp 09 .this is the best bike i have ever owned .I did have a GT agressor and compared to the Boardman that was hard Work to ride .

My Latest Route: May 2011 Portsmouth and Langstone Harbour

spenner 24 Jul 08:25  

Bike:

I have been using my Boardman Road/Team 09 bike for a few weeks now and I can't fault it what's so ever.

Go out and buy one!

chickenlegs 27 Jul 06:04  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought the Boardman Team Hybrid a year and a half ago. I was so impressed with it that I went on to buy the Boardman Pro road 9 months ago. An absolutely fantastic bike for the money! Amazingly fast even compared to bikes three times the cost!
The only draw back has been the headset, bottom bracket and wheel bearings wore out really quickly which when passed back to Halfords "pro"builder to replace, he totally balls'd it up 1 day before a race!!
I had to rush it to my local established, family run bike shop to strip down and rebuild.
So my main advice is: Have no fear purchasing a Boardman, Forget using Halfords for maintenance!!

My Latest Route: Mar 2009 Princetown to Widecombe Loop

dudley 27 Jul 08:23  

Bike:

My Profile
thanks!
this advice seems universal.

Halfords are cr*p, unless you're in the market for a carbon-fibre look-a-like filler cap, a Magic Tree, or an exhaust you can kick a football up!

GYKev 06 Aug 12:20  

Bike:

I have had my Boardman Team road bike for 6 months now, my firm went with Halfords Cycle to work scheme so had to go to them for the bike. Did not know that you could order other makes through Halfords cycle to work scheme so bought a Boardman, Glad I did a great bike, I had a few problems, having to drive 50miles to nearest store that had a Team bike in stock, they did not have anyone who could set it up for me so i took it to my local Halfords, Great guy there, knew what he was doing and talking about. I got a great deal as it was 2008 model instead of 2009, reduced from £899 to £699, then further 10% off for online order. Never been off it, rides and feels great having some longer rides now summer here !!!!
GYKev

jmagla 09 Aug 11:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Guys,
I have just bought (pick up on Thursday) a Boardman Performance Hybrid Team fron Halfords, like many others I have concerns about set up, but we shall see. I intend to use it in a few weeks for the Great North Bike Ride which is mainly on tarmac with a few sections on gravel etc. I have read a couple of reviews where they have had several punctures and am slightly concerned, has anyone had any experience with these tyres? (Maxxis Detonator 700x28c) surely they should be ok for light offroad i.e. gravel etc.

Cheers for any help

Michael

arundel1977 10 Aug 02:00  

Bike:

I agree with you mate, 2 month ago I bought Boardman Comp '09, first day on the road I bent front chainring. Went to Hallfords for repairs they took my number and the manager himself promissed me that he will call me back. After 2 month of phone calls to the store, to their custumer support line, after sending them a registered letter of complaint, I lost hope. I do not have anything against the bike, it is good (unless you have too much power in your legs, which has happend to me). If you ask me, I would never ever buy anything from them again and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. Staff knowledge about the bikes is minimal, customer service non-existant. I used that cycle to work cheme, spent 600£ and ended up with broken bike, for wich I will still have to pay.

A little bit about the bike: bike itself is good, very light, very responsive, but some of the materials it's made from, could be sturdier. I experienced that front big chainring is made out of lighter material, therefore is a bit weak, also the wheel rims (I am taking my front wheel to rebuild). Someone asked about Maxxis Detonator tires, well they are not so bad, but very slippery on the wet road.

jmagla 10 Aug 11:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Hmm, that does not sound good, I will take it out for a ride when I get back and if not happy will probably take it to a LBS, if it seems ok I wont.

Been in this morning to pick up some spare inner tubes for it (in anticipation of 1st puncture) and he was going to give me the smaller size which he said was the closest until I pointed out that they had the correct size, not very good.

Also at the same time a young lad brought a Boardman bike in that he had bought online from Halfords and asked if they would put the pedals on and do a PDI, the senior of the two guys was a bit off and said they were really busy and the earliest he could do it was next month!!

Just hope everything goes ok with mine, I know the Boardman bikes are supposed to come fully set up prior to getting to Halfords, they only put the pedals and handlebars on...I hope!

I will report back when I have picked it up.

Michael

Adymartin 11 Aug 08:59  

Bike:

My Profile
well, they look good to me, I'm definitely going to pick myself up a nice pro hardtail mtb for commuting and a bit of trail riding.
can't wait.
apart from some branding snobbery here and there, I haven't found anything to put me off them at all. In fact, it would seem the only reason not to get one is if it doesn't fit me properly.
time will tell...

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Wortley to Green Flag Loop

banbowers 11 Aug 09:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Having Had my Boardman Road Comp for about a Month now .I think they are fabulous Bikes .I find mine so fast and responsive and comfortable to ride.Me previous bike was a GT Agressor 08 and that was Very hard riding compared to my Comp.It was not as comfortable hard on the hands and very Heavy in comparison .I would take the Comp any day in Preference .In fact I actually prefer riding it to using my car now .I spend all my spare time now out on the road and ride to work every day

jmagla 12 Aug 17:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Well I picked the Boardman Hybrid Team up tonight, only had a chance to ride it up and down the street a few times. Maybe I am being paranoid but the chain seems rather noisy around the rear derailleur, I expected it to be whisper quiet, I am not sure if I am looking for things that arent there after all the Halfords horror stories.

All the gears select ok, but the noise is there, no matter which gear is selected. I know I can take it back (hmmm) or take it to a LBS and pay £40 or so, maybe it is normal noise?, any thoughts?

Cheers Michael

Adymartin 13 Aug 07:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds like it's not set up quite right.
Are you confident enough to try and tweak the gears?
If not, just take it back, It's not a tricky job when you know what you're doing but you can end up making things worse very easily, if you don't.
I'd take it back to Halfords if you're not confident in fiddling around yourself. If you're unfortunate that they are one of the 'Bad'ones then the LBS may be your only option.
Good Luck

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Wortley to Green Flag Loop

dudley 13 Aug 08:14  

Bike:

My Profile
£40 to the local guy.
will be pennies well spent.

He'll probably sort out all the other Halford's related issues you haven't found yet!

jmagla 13 Aug 13:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Well I had a good look at it when I got back from work, the cogs on the rear derailleur look to be misaligned (across all the gears). I took it in and said what I thought was the problem, he tried to say it was only like that when certain gears were selected but told him it was not right.

They are now changing the rear derailleur (didnt have a new one in stock, so are taking the one of the display bike, not ideal but shouldnt be a problem....hopefully, I checked that one whilst in the shop and it sounded fine), hope to get it back tonight but may be tomorrow. I hope once this is done , all is well, but like many others it has probably put me off buying a decent bike from them in future. It makes you wonder how it made it past the PDI? :-)

I will report back.

Cheers Michael

jmagla 13 Aug 16:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Back again, the derailleur has been changed and all is now good, little or no noise and its like a different bike, I can see why the Boardman's have got such good reviews.

I am doing the Great North Bike Ride at the end of the month, so for peace of mind I think I will invest £40 at my LBS.

Thanks for all the advice...I am happy again :-)

Cheers Michael

RonnieG 15 Aug 06:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Boardman Hyrbrid Pro here. Awesome looks. Awesome ride. And a great price v spec.
Look beyond the halfords issues. Not every LBS is great. Not every other retaler is beyond issues. Get the bike. If it's not 100% set up. Pay a minimal costs to do so at the place of your choice.

Perspective: Cars at 10-30k are going through PDI and still an issue on the road for new owners. Not saying this is good/ correct/ fair, but it'll happen.

Unless the bike is dangerous, and to be fair....do the brakes work does the handle bar connect with the wheels, are the wheel on tight. The rest is detail, personal preference and tuning.

jmagla 16 Aug 10:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Ronnie,
I agree with your sentiments on the bike, I have the Team Hybrid, have had it out for a couple of decent rides since I got it and (now its been sorted) am very pleased with it.

I see your point about looking beyond Halfords, but don’t fully agree with it (and I am certainly not having a go at you here), I would expect them to be able to build up a bike with a reasonable amount of proficiency. I wouldn’t expect to buy an expensive watch for example and then have to take it to an independent watchmaker to have it regulated properly. I think the main reason many people (now including myself) have concerns with them is because of the number of times problems seem to arise.

In my case the noise from the rear derailleur was both obvious and excessive and it should never have passed the "inspection", when I took it back another employee tried to fob me off with a reason for the noise. Even the bell wasn’t tightened onto the handlebars properly. I don’t think it is unreasonable when spending fairly large sums of money on a bike to expect it to be set up correctly.

To be fair to Halfords, it seems to be fine now after the new derailleur was fitted, and many, many people have bought from them and are very happy. I do think they could, and should up the quality of their service; the original guy who built my bike was perfectly polite etc when I picked it up, but you could cut his lack of interest with a knife.

In the Boardman range they have a real diamond, every time I have been in, there are always people looking at them (and picking new ones up), but if they want to make the most of its potential they need to improve their quality of set up.

RonnieG 18 Aug 02:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Can't disagree with you there.
I beleive the issue is, as you allude to, inconsistency. In one store you will get someone who's an enthusiast and competent and able to sell (after all that's what they are in business for). and maybe a backroom mechanic to PDI. In another you'll get varying degrees of that combination. In some places, unfortunatly the scores for interest go into a negative and that's where ,maybe, better awareness by mngt needs to kick in.

Shame , because as you say, they have a real diamond in the bike.

I believe most stores ranging the bikes went through a vigorous training program and hand over procedure but, unfortunatly, the economics of the present day have caught up and some of these people have either moved on,been moved or redeployed. No different for any business i supose.

Glad you're sorted now and we still have a bit of summer left to enjoy.

my1minuterant 19 Aug 05:50  

Bike:

After much lobbying, finally my firm to taking part in the Cycle 2 Work scheme. But much to my dismay, they decided to go with Halfords as the supplier. However, the Boardman Comp SC was what I was after so I though what the hey.

I have to say that I have never come across a company that didn't want to do business with someone as much as Halfords. I firstly ventured into the Bikehut branch in the City of London and was told that didn't have the bike, were not going to order it for me and didn't when know one would be in.

I informed the shop assistant that, according to their website, they had one in stock in the Enfield store. I was told that I could not order it online, and they had no facility for it to be transferred and I would have to go and get it myself.

Exaspertated at this point but with the voucher burning a hole in my pocket I did exactly that. The bloke at this store was excellent and duly put my pedals on for me and asked if there was anything else he could do.

The bike I have to say, has been worth all the trouble that I had to go through to to get it. In the three weeks I have had it, have never had such a comfortable and quick ride. I think the moral of the story is that Chris Boardman should do something about his distribution network and he'd sell a lot more bikes

jmagla 19 Aug 08:40  

Bike:

My Profile
my1minuterant, I agree totally with you, if the Boardman bikes were available elsewhere they would sell a lot more, or if each Halfords store selling these bikes (actually) had a dedicated "Boardman" technician. This is what they say they have, but they dont, not from my experience anyway. Glad you are happy, as I am, with the bike, pity we had to go through so much grief to get there!

banbowers 19 Aug 08:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi there are some Halfords stores with Dedicated Boardmen Technicians the Portsmouth store has a Dedicated Boardman Tech .He is very good indeed and knows the Bikes very well .I will agree though that the normal day to day bike People at halfords are realy not up to scratch

jd 21 Aug 09:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes i bouht one last year bike ok ,but service crap

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.