We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Serious wobble!

Bingo 10 Sep 09:13  

Bike:

I'm very new to road riding. The other day I was out for a spin and came across a fairly steep hill - I gunned it down and reached what seemed to me a very fast speed.Next thing I know the handlebars are shaking from side to side - like each side was moving about 2-3 inches!. Needless to say I almost had a heart attack! Now my confidence is shot to pieces - every time I come across a hill I'm feathering the brakes, which if anything makes things worse. Anyone got any suggestions?

albion 10 Sep 15:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I get that on the Stanley to Chester-le-street downhill main road having had it happen once again on that same road.

Since it happened I've checked and tightened my front spokes to(one day) see if it helps, though I attribute some of the cause to the road camber.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

rustyspoke 10 Sep 18:28  

Bike:

My Profile
First check the head stock bearings and make sure there is no play.
Check tyres are at correct pressure and wheels are tight.
All these being ok it is probably the road surface.
But as to very fast decending of hills some us can do it some of us cant.
Fethering the brakes is not a problem.

Bingo 11 Sep 04:14  

Bike:

Thanks guys - nice to know its not just me!

spaceman 11 Sep 14:05  

Bike:

My Profile
This can happen due to slight imbalance in the wheels. Same problem you will encounter in a car if the wheels are not balanced. So there are several possibilities to counter act.
First time it happened to me at 45mph down hill and it scared me to. I read up on it and someone suggested clamping knees in around the frame, this helped.
But also check all drive line bearings for play and tyre condition/inflation.
Hope this expieriance has not had too adverse an effect on you.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

bht147 13 Sep 06:54  

Bike:

My Profile
I have had a very similar experience, oh yes it is scary! I did a little research and it is known as the "shimmy". I had my bike checked over at a bike shop who told me all was as it should be but as my frame is 25" this could be the cause. I accepted this and got used to it happening at certain speeds. However recently I noticed that my rear tyre had a bulge and scince replacing it I have not had the problem. It might be a good idea to check your tyres for sidewall damage and then deflate and re-inflate making sure that they are "centered" ie parallel around the rims. Good luck and take care.

My Latest Route: Jun 2013 Edmundbyers-st John's Chapel-edmundbyers

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.