We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Grand Union Canal - Page 3

<< < 2 3 4 >
newstewart 31 Dec 06:56  

Bike:

Is it possible to cycle the entire length of the grand Union Canal from Birmingham to London with little road cycling. We are trying to plan this route to cycle this summer and hope it can be completed in 3 days. What we don't know is which sections you can't cycle on and (if any) are the detours easy to follow and will they include busy main roads. Our intentions are to travel from Glasgow to Birmingham by train and return from London to Glasgow.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

herbie 08 Mar 14:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Pedee,

Can I ask where you stop at Leighton Buzzard.

I struggle to find cycle friendly hotels/ B&B -- which has put me off doing the full route I have done Birmingham to Milton Keynes a couple of times but jump on train to come back same day.

thanks

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

Pedee 08 Mar 15:18  

Bike:

Herbie try the Swan

Last two years we have stopped at a travel lodge in Hemelhemstead this has been because the Swan in Lieghton Buzzard has been closed for refurb. However I believe we are booked into the Swan again this year. Previously they have accommodated 40 riders and bikes

sheffield 11 Apr 09:40  

Bike:

i am looking at doing the london to birmingham, but i want to carry on up to sheffield. Does anyone know if this is possible.

elmtreefarmaccommodation 15 Jul 08:23  

Bike:

If anyone is doing Grand Union Canal bike ride we are half way at bridge number 64. (north of Milton Keynes and south of Stoke Bruerne) If you are hard core cyclists you can do it in 2 days with a stop of at Elm Tree Farm Accommodation www.elmtreefarmbandb.co.uk We are situated opposite a pub so ideal for dinner. Some advice (from cyclists not me!)is that the Birmingham to us stretch is quite hard going in places, but from us to London the tow path is much nicer! GOOD LUCK!

elmtreefarmaccommodation 15 Jul 08:24  

Bike:

That is half way between London and Birmingham! ww.elmtreefarmbandb.co.uk

bootyfootball 02 Aug 07:18  

Bike:

Did London to Birmingam couple of weeks ago. Made it to Blisworth tunnel in one day 110 miles. Camped in a field- tow paths were good considering how wet it was. Day 2 65 miles to Birmingham was very tough going. Wet muddy and very overgrown in places. No punctures!

Tex 26 Sep 11:31  

Bike:

Planning to do B'ham to Northampton mid October but not sure if is Gas street or Salford Junction as the official start of the GUC

herbie 18 Oct 07:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Finally did got round to doing the Grand Union Canal
Birmingham (Yardley) to London (Marylebone Station).

140 miles over two days ( detour to avoid Towpath around Braunston)
14 & half hours actual cycling
2.5 hours food breaks / stops during the two days

No punctures / mechanical issues.

1st Half is the killer wet grass / muddy towpaths draining the legs.

Overnight stay at Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes.
arranged cycle storage with Charles - Guest Service Manager.

2nd half was about keeping tired legs going on easier towpaths.

With the condition of the tow paths and tired legs the average speed came down to 9.6 MPH.

I caught train back to Solihull - but had to wait around as there are no bikes allowed on Chiltern Trains leaving London during the rush hour 16.30 and 19.30

----- in hindsight I should have checked or got there earlier ------

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

bike123 06 May 15:06  

Bike:

hi me an my friend are thinking on cycling.from knowle in warickshire,to london over just a weekend.what ideal esentials would we need to take.

xeneize 13 Nov 12:43  

Bike:

Hi

Im planning to go cycling from MK to London through the Grand Union Canal

has somebody done this route? Do you need any special permit for cycling in the Canal?

And, after that, the key question, is it possible to reach London through the Canal route, or is there any point where you cant continue?

Thank you
Read more at http://www.cycle-route.com/forum/General-Chat-MK-London-through-Grand-Union-Canal-Thread-5359.html#1GZX4ZVB6yMwbhHB.99

Colinnjones 24 Jun 14:54  

Bike:

Hi all just undertaken the grand union Paddington to Gas street basin in 3 days all along the towpath June 2018

If you want to enjoy the trip more than just pain, I would suggest that you take 5-6 days and enjoy the stops on the way To do it in 3 day involved up to 10 hours a day including stops to repair 8 punctures

I'm just over 50 and haven't cycled since 2003 (London to Brighton) so if you are planning this do a few 20 mile days out to get prepared, wear gel gloves and a soft saddle Some of the tow paths are great others are almost non existent and very overgrown with brambles

Its a great challenge

seomind 06 Nov 06:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 06:47  

Bike:

My Profile
After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 06:50  

Bike:

My Profile
This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome to the party of my life here you will learn everything about me. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Glad to chat your blog, I seem to be forward to more reliable articles and I think we all wish to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. financial freedom

mrseod 18 Apr 11:22  

Bike:

My Profile
If it's not too much trouble share more like that. DAVID & PATRICIA CARLIN REVIEW

mrseod 18 Apr 11:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. DAVID & PATRICIA CARLIN REVIEW

mrseod 18 Apr 11:27  

Bike:

My Profile
After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. DAVID & PATRICIA CARLIN REVIEW

mrseod 18 Apr 11:29  

Bike:

My Profile
I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. Start And Scale Review

mrseod 18 Apr 11:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome to the party of my life here you will learn everything about me. Start And Scale Review

mrseod 18 Apr 11:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Millionaire Morning Routine Review

mrseod 18 Apr 11:39  

Bike:

My Profile
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. Millionaire Morning Routine Review

mrseod 18 Apr 11:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily Millionaire Morning Routine Review

mrseod 18 Apr 11:43  

Bike:

My Profile
I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. Cashflow Academy Review

<<<234>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.