We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Assistance please - charity ride

Ecanham 28 Mar 09:14  

Bike:

Hi

I am trying to organise a cycle ride in aid of Cancer Research at work

I am not a cyclist, I have three cyclists taking part one is a cyclist who thinks everything is possible and has planned the route/timings, the other two are cyclists but out of practice and not as confident the plan can be achieved

I would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts as to whether it is achievable and if not possibly some help as to how it can be achieved

04:00 am depart Kenton School (Newcastle upon Tyne)
18:00 pm arrive Stirling (Scotland)
148 miles taking the kielder forest route, via galashiels
4 x 15 minute breaks (every approx 38 miles)

Hot meal upon arrival in Stirling, 8 hours sleep

Return journey
04:00 am depart Stirling Office
18:00 pm arrive Kenton School
148 miles
4 x 15 minute breaks (every approx 38 miles)

The concerns they have is that setting off at 4 am they will not have had a good sleep before hand, but then if we set off later we risk having to cycle through rush hour traffic. For health and safety purposes work do not want us cycling when its dark, we will also be taking time off work so ideally needs to be over two days.

Can anyone help? they are trying my patients

Thanks

chipmunk 03 Apr 17:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hiya, firstly I do not know that area at all but I do think your timings are in jeopardy!! How experienced are all 3 riders, you say 1 is but over how far , he /she may be a lot faster than the other two,148 m is possible and a hard ride for an experienced cyclist but 15 m breaks would not be enough unless everyone is quite fit, for instance it may be hilly just before they are due to break and may need longer to warm down a bit, also as they get more tired breaks get longer and you also have to allow for punctures etc. You need to look at how much money you can raise for effort. Obviously you have to have a challenge to make people want to sponsor but safety is also important, good luck with whatever you decide.

leelee 07 Apr 12:17  

Bike:

My Profile
in my younger days i did plenty of 156 miles over eight hours
however was 18/20
was very hard on way back as it always is
also on road
off road takes alot more effort
lots of water and food night before
have fun
150 miles off road needs more time
that is a long way for two days
296 miles ouch
hope all goes well

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.