We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Asking for feedback about my bike lock invention

bickeylikey 19 Jun 16:44  

Bike:

Hey guys, my name's Liang I'm a college student and cyclist at USC. I've had three bikes stolen while at USC and it really pissed me off so now I'm doing something about it.

I've created a lock that specifically secures the wheels of a bike. It works by replacing the hex nuts or quick release skewers holding a bike in place. It's designed so none of the common theft tools (i.e. wrenches, vice grips, bolt cutters, flamethrowers, that laser gun from Goldeneye, etc.) can get through it or get any leverage on it.

The nut can only be tightened / loosened with the specific wrench that comes in each package. There are multiple variations of these nut:wrench combinations.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on the product, whether or not you'd use it, and any advice you have (from business/marketing ideas to product improvements).

Cheers,
-Liang

STID 19 Jun 20:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I am not 100% sure what you have done/invented to stop your bike being stolen.

You mention the hex nuts/quick release skewers but all they do is hold the wheels in place and stop them being stolen. How does that stop anyone stealing your bike ? Sounds like you need to lock your bike with a very good padlock/chain of which there are a lot of good ones on the market already.

I was expecting to see a picture, a link or youtube clip to explain in full and with total clarity what it is you are talking about but there was nothing of the sort.

Have you tried to raise funds to get this off the ground ?

From what you have written I will stick with my chain.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

herbie 20 Jun 04:36  

Bike:

My Profile
why not use some sort of crowd funding site to get the idea out there ??

if people like it they will back it

E.G

https://www.kickstarter.com/

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

BusterG 20 Jun 06:49  

Bike:

My Profile
I agree with STID, I cant visualise the product without help and if I could it probably wouldn't be what the poster intended.

Get some pictures or diagrams out for people to see what you mean.
Good Luck

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

bickeylikey 27 Jun 19:15  

Bike:

Hi all, sorry for the late reply. Here's some pictures I took. To add some points of clarity to my initial post, it only secures the bike wheels to the bike - you still absolutely need a U-lock to secure your frame to something else.

It's a lock specifically designed to prevent bike wheel theft, which has been happening like crazy to other students on campus as well as cyclists in the LA area from what I've been seeing.

There's some other companies who tried to take a crack at this space so far, but all of them seem to be missing one major piece or another... i.e. too high of a price point, low material quality used, there's no variations to the nut:key combination, etc.

Here's some pictures, let me know what you guys think... I love getting feedback and we're still pretty early on so we can definitely incorporate useful points into the development of this. Thanks guys!!

Picture of the nuts and key: http://imgur.com/BYruRbO
Nut installed on bike wheel: http://imgur.com/IDYoaqY
Quick release skewer replacement: http://imgur.com/Xy2oUk0

STID 29 Jun 04:12  

Bike:

My Profile
The lockable quick release skewer has already been invented, and if you do a search you will find plenty of them on the internet.

Some alternative and dare I say cheaper versions are as follows;

Cycle to USC, and using the quick release system, remove front and back wheel from bike and take them indoors with you.

Or take your u-lock and secure it from the rear wheel to the seat tube and the other from the front wheel to the down tube.

Another way would be to ask to have a camera installed over the area to see who is stealing your bike, they are a great deterrent and will identify the thief.

Do you not have security roaming campus these days to stop things like this happening ?

BTW, good win by the Trojans over Derek Carr's Fresno State last year, I thought the Bulldogs were going to win that one.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

lucky 13 13 Jul 21:33  

Bike:

are u sure mole grips wouldn't undo this lock contraption

w1zard 14 Jul 19:02  

Bike:

Interesting Liang, have been thinking along the same lines. Perhaps we should chat
020 3239 3610 V

bickeylikey 24 Jul 20:05  

Bike:

shoot me an email - team@nutlock.co

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.