We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

21 stone here we go

1 2 3 > >>
jme701 20 Feb 07:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Well here I am ready to embark on a long journey to lose weight and get fit. I have my old mountain bike and have just put some tyres on with a bit less grip so my rolling traction aint to bad, I have plotted out some routes and am only going to start by covering around 3 miles at a steady pace. I will do this for about a week then gradually build up my distance as I am not attempting to go for speed until a long way down the line. The main goal is calories and weight loss.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Townsend road loop
Shy but Daft 20 Feb 07:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Good luck for this. Seems like a good plan to start with. I have lost about 2 stone since I got started again last year. Like you I set a realistic target then up't it when I get to a certain weight. I'll be keeping an eye open for updates. Happy biking, Ali x

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Warrington to Preston

BusterG 20 Feb 07:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah good luck JME701!.
I started out as an 18 stone rugby player.
3 years later after retiring from rugby and taking up cycling i am almost within the NHS's graph for what I should weigh for my height, blabla bla, 14 stone! Ansd I wasnt even trying to loose the weight. if you have a goal go for it and dont shy away from changing the goal if you need to.

Maybe soon you will take the smooth tyres off and put the knobblies back on to give yourself more resistance to overcome.

Have fun!
Buster.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

jme701 21 Feb 05:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Well first 3 miles done and rediscovering how when you are overweight and very unfit you have to learn the art of sucking air in through every hole possible to keep going, I took it steady and used high revolutions rather than trying to burst my legs. But thats the first of many I wonder if one day I might fit onto a road bike lol. Its now just deciding what to fuel my body with now before my session tomorrow.

BusterG 21 Feb 05:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds like you are on the right track.
High revs is the way to go it will ensure any muscle growth is lean rather than bulky. Have you seen Sir Chris Hoy's thighs!
Whilst high revs too will ensure that fat burns off dont fall into the trap and replace calories burnt with calories in.

Good luck

jme701 21 Feb 05:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Ha more to the point my wife has seen his thighs, I dont get a look in. As for calories in its now time to start and write everything down so I can keep control of whats going in but I will keep posting. Thanks

rustyspoke 21 Feb 12:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Lots of miles keep the gears low at first good luck

leelee 21 Feb 12:59  

Bike:

My Profile
good man save bus fares

jme701 21 Feb 14:06  

Bike:

My Profile
yep defo on bus as its 12 a week and I only work 4 miles away so its all systems go

txbnet 21 Feb 14:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds like a great idea and as we head to Spring, you'll be buying new cycling gear with the pounds saved on bus fares. Strangely I fall into the trap of eating too much when I get off after a long day in the saddle, plus a few beers to wash it down. That's why I never drop any weight off and am still at the very upper end of NHS guidelines, but I've found the cycling addictive and don't seem to have too many issues on hills now which I did at first. Good luck with the exercise programme and when you get fit look out for the GNBR or the Durham Big rides or one of the smaller Northern Rock Cyclones, they're great fun, go at your own pace, free bananas and water and all marshalled so you don't need any maps.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

txbnet 21 Feb 14:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Just realised my comment about doing the GNBR, Durham Big Rides etc may be useless to you if you don't live in the NE of England. Doh !!

txbnet 21 Feb 14:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Just realised my comment about doing the GNBR, Durham Big Rides etc may be useless to you if you don't live in the NE of England. Doh !!

jme701 22 Feb 06:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello all to first of all to txbnet I live in sunny Sunderland so once I am fit I will take these up.

Well ride two out and done in windy conditions I am sure ever new corner I had a head wind and if a sail had been to hand I would have flown around, I did a different route today which gave more of a challange as it had more flats so I could keep the revolutions going rather than freewheeling, I must however admit that for about a 150m streach I got off and push as the wind was fairly bad and my heart and lungs could not take it at this stage in the game. But its done and I feel better for it. I have decided to only weigh myself once a week on a Monday morning to check my progress, am also wondering if its worth getting some spd's so energy is been used all throughout the rotation??? Right time for something to eat???? lets see whats in. Bye for now

Mike Beer 22 Feb 07:06  

Bike:

On the plus side I started at 18 stone and the minus side Im 63 and suffering from to many years of playing Rugby. I started last riding last November trying just to get a bit fitter. I have lost a stone in weight and now riding at least 100 miles a week (Weather permitting). I have cut down on what I eat and only drink on days with a Y at the end.

jme701 22 Feb 07:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Ha good one Mike well I was in the Army for 12 years and my fittest weight was 17.5 stone but at 6ft 3inchs even that would have been classed as overweight and I was fit as anything, doing such as dancon marches and others and been able to run and do cfts etc etc but now life has slowed down or sort of one kid trying for uni the other cricket mad some I am just a taxi service but its worth it and at only a young age of 44 I need to get fit and lose weight again.

BusterG 22 Feb 10:13  

Bike:

My Profile
SPDs are a good idea.
Be careful at first and get them properly fitted and tested so they pop off when required and you dont have to unlace to get your foot out.

I like them coz it is great for doing hills and getting the upstroke working too.

jme701 23 Feb 06:25  

Bike:

My Profile
3.5 miles done today, so its getting there I have three different routes to do to prevent boredom setting in I shall weigh myself in the morning as I am away over the weekend so the last ride will be on Saturday, then Tuesday will be my next one

Bonny6051 23 Feb 07:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Jme701, from one previously slightly heavy former soldier to another, I wish you all the best with this, your latest campaign. I, too, put on a bit of weight after leaving The Mob and cycling has certainly helped me lose 3.5 stones. You seem to have the right mental attitude and I am sure that you will stick to it and realise your goal. Good luck, mate, and all the best.
Chris.

Happy Snapper 23 Feb 21:26  

Bike:

I did the same as you, got into cycling to lose weight but burnt calories and didn't replace them which then sent the body into starvation mode and I started to lose muscle mass as the body saves body fat as it believes it isn't getting enough food and uses muscle instead. Excercise plus eating the right foods is the best way to lose weight and cutting out the junk and fat intake, it is a bloody minefield

jme701 24 Feb 06:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the comments, well cutting out the beer and eating the good food has lost me 7lbs in 5 days but that I suppose is just normal the time to come will be after a couple of stone has gone and the weight comes off at a steady pace, I know when I am getting fitter as sometimes my body weight does not go down I just change shape and how my people such as rugby players and soldiers are built well and would be classed as overweight but can be as fit as anything, I have another ride to do in the morning then off to London.

jme701 25 Feb 07:52  

Bike:

My Profile
5.3 miles done today without to much bother so next week am going to find 5 mile routes of similar nature.

jme701 01 Mar 06:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm back, 6 miles done yesterday and just over 7 miles done today so it shall be another 7 miler tomorrow

BusterG 01 Mar 09:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Wel done Sir JME701!
According to my graph, based on your progress so far, you will be going 25miles before you reach day 31.
Not bad for a month, and the weather is improving too, well done here south it is.
:-)

guitarpete247 01 Mar 13:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi jme701.
Gaz here http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/pictures/ is an inspiration to all of us trying to shed a few (or a lot of) pounds. Keep at it mate you'll get there I'm sure.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

jme701 04 Mar 15:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello all well I have been on night shift the past couple of nights so its a 3 mile ride to work and back, I am on last one tonight so its a 3 miler back in the morning then on Tuesday its my 8 mile ride. I am starting to get a steady pace now and can actually manage to get all the way up the hill where I live now. By the end of March I am hoping to be doing around 14 mile a journey then later in the summer I hope to do part of the C2C where it goes from |Sunderland round to Consett and back into Sunderland.

jme701 06 Mar 08:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Well just short of 10 miles done today in just over 1 hour 15 mins I have put the route on here so people can see, its a steady route with nothing to challanging and a good start.

txbnet 07 Mar 02:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey thats fantastic progress. Keep it going. The only problem is, you'll soon not be able to pass a bike shop without looking in the window and wondering whether you're ready for an upgrade yet !! Your garage will become a sort of shrine with all sorts of bike parts hanging from the roof, with spares for every occasion. Its a drug!

jme701 07 Mar 09:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Good one well the first thing is a new seat post as with my large frame the one on now has started to bend I noticed it today as I shot round herrington park on a 5 miler with some windy conditions, went over a bump and just thought ohh that does not feel right and when I look the post had bent back a bit so out came the spanner and I turned it the other way and spun the saddle around. down to 20st 4lbs now

sdwalker 07 Mar 12:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Well done just keep proggressing with increasing the miles and you will see the weight fall off. I started cycling last year at around 19 st I am now down to 17!!

You said you have a hill in your area, I used to comute to work which was 7 miles their and 7 miles return and the hill was in the 1st mile at 1st I could not get all the way up but now it is not a problem. When you do have time to spend doing a short loop it is a really good idea to do hill training which is short sharp bursts out the saddle then a more relaxed pace and repeat this up the hill about every 30 seconds. Then roll back down the hill for a well earned break and start again it will really help with stamina and muscle growth in your thighs and butt.

Keep us all posted on how you are getting on. Do you mind if i ask what goal you have set your self and when you want to acheive this by?

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

jme701 08 Mar 09:06  

Bike:

My Profile
One of the main goals is to lose weight and become fitter, I would hope by the end of the summer to do the last part of the C2C route which by the look of the map you can do in a circle by setting off from sunderland and going north then round towards consett then back in towards sunderland again. I am enjoying myself so far as its nice when you can just stop for a couple of mins while you take a drink and then set off again. I have also found the nack of relaxing my legs as I found for some reason I was tensing up but went relaxed there is a lot less pressure on the muscles. I will be looking into upgrading once I have got my fitness level up and I have dropped a good couple of stone, idealy I am looking at getting down to around 17 stone mark witin a 3 year time scale so that I lose the weight gradually rather than all at once just for it to go on again.

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.