We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

coming home to the highlands

keep_fit 20 Feb 07:49  

Bike:

My Profile
am taking a long weekend trip up north
also using the train from glasgow an taking the bike with me
any restrictions on it?

skiad1 20 Feb 18:07  

Bike:

My Profile
You may have to book ahead, depending on destination. Any time I've used the west coast line, or east coast, for anything other than 'few stop hops', I've had to book. Once, they did this(under duress but you get used to the 'scotrail attitude' after a while) on the day from Fort William south(I think the shock of having to press a few extra buttons was too much for them) but I wouldn't bank on this. Also, booking ahead(even slightly) can get you cheaper fares. I've used this to return from day rides to newcastle and berwick. Having said all this, and to illustrate my point regarding scotrail. I tried to book a train to aviemore(was doing a ride back to perth via tomintoul/braemar) to be told there were no spaces so I booked to Huntly via aberdeen(east coast line) instead(cheaper too). On returning from perth I got talking to another cyclist who'd 'taken a chance' on the aviemore train & the guard had allowed more than the (increasingly enforced nowadays) maximum bikes onboard.......

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.