We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Southampton to Portsmouth

nickcorrado 25 Aug 19:51  

Bike:

My wife and I will be arriving in Southampton by ship (QMII 'Docks A33' ) with our bicycles on September 14th. We need to make our way to the Brittany ferry dock (Wharf Rd Portsmouth Hants PO2 8RU) in Portsmouth to catch a ferry later that night. We have about 7 hours to make the trip. It looks to be about 25 miles. Is there a SAFE bike route that anyone can recommend to get us from the terminal in Southampton to the dock in Portsmouth? Or should we be looking for some sort of shuttle service? I'd be very grateful for any advice.

pasabeograd 27 Aug 11:44  

Bike:

My Profile
I just cycled from Southampton to Portsmouth last week - as part of a longer ride. You can get there, but it's not particularly enjoyable. The roads are busy and the whole way built up. It is around 25 miles - and I did it in a couple of hours, but it wasn't fun.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Burgess Hill to Ashdown Forest Circular

nickcorrado 27 Aug 17:52  

Bike:

Many thanks for your reply. I got much the same information when I called Cycle-World in S'ton. Now the question is, How do we hire a car with a driver to get us to Portsmouth? We ride recumbents, which are a bit longer than standard bikes and taxi companies haven't been very encouraging. The longest bike is 7 foot 9 inches (236 cm). They fit fine in an american van (Dodge Caravan).

Any additional thoughts on how we can get to Portsmouth?

dudley 28 Aug 14:11  

Bike:

My Profile
45 minutes and £8.30 on the train

no idea about recumbents on those services, or if the train stations are anywhere near where you need to be at either end

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

nickcorrado 29 Aug 02:17  

Bike:

Thanks, I'll check into that.