We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Prestwick to Tain

sorbs 25 Dec 16:53  

Bike:

I am in the very early stages of organising a trip for a bunch of (mainly) non-cyclists from Prestwick - Glasgow - Inverness - Tain in July. I expect the trip to take about 5 days using the Great Glen route. However, no one in the group has any real experience of the route, I know a lot of it is off-road, but I don't know if it is suitable for road and hybrid bikes. Can anyone give any advice about this route?

Big Stuff 29 Dec 06:27  

Bike:

Hi,

I am a male 64 yrs of age and I would be interested in any details of your ride. My son who is a serving soldier and I intend to do Prestwick to John O Groats in June. I am cycling about 100 mls per week at the moment on a Claude Butler Hybrid.

sorbs 06 Jan 16:33  

Bike:

Hi Big Stuff,

As I said I am in the early stages of organising this ride but I hope to have the route and dates finalised by next week. Once I have some 'firmer' details I will let you know.

Big Stuff 14 Jan 13:36  

Bike:

Hi,

that woul;d be brilliant many thanks.

Tom

Ogwen 14 Jan 18:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I cycled from carlisle to Thurso last summer following the national cycle routes.It was a bit long winded but gave excellent cycling. Get hold of the maps and guide from sustrans.
to give some idea of the time taken:
Day 1 Carlile to Dumfries
Day 2 Dumfries to Creetown (more or less)
Day 3 Creetown to Ayr.
Day 4 Ayr to Lochwinnoch
Day 5 Lochwinnoch to Aberfoyle
day 6 Aberfoyle to Killin
Day 7 Killin to Newtonmor
Day 8 Newtonmore to Inverness
Day 9 Inverness to Lairge
Day 10 Lairg to Tongue
Day 11 Tongue to Thurso

I camped on all but two nights and my bike which carried everything is a run of the mill Raleigh hybrid

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Gort to Kinvarra Via Kilmacduagh

CtheCyclist 28 Jan 17:23  

Bike:

Hi Ogwen
I'm planning to cycle from Glasgow to Thurso following the same route you did. Can you tell me if there was a lot of traffic on the A roads up North? The Sustrans map (which is 10 years old) says they're quiet, but I also read that the road along the north coast was 'much improved' which is generally a bad sign for cyclists.

Ogwen 29 Jan 18:57  

Bike:

My Profile
The road from Tain to Bonar Bridge was the busiest stretch, after that they were quite quiet. From Tongue to Thurso the roads busier it seemed. Its a great ride and I am thinking of doing the whole thing again!

CtheCyclist 01 Feb 18:15  

Bike:

Thanks for that. We had a bad experience in the Outer Hebrides last year - after days of wonderfully quiet roads, we ended up having a nightmare for the 25 miles into Stornoway where the lovely single track roads turn into a major highway and everyone goes mad it seems.

Ogwen 05 Feb 11:35  

Bike:

My Profile
The only really unpleasant part of my trip was the from Inverness to Lairg. I decided to go via Dingwall instead of Cromarty and the ferry. To make matters worse I got it into my head that it would be a good idea to follow the A9 to Alness! I was a nervouse wreck after a couple of miles and got off the A9 and back onto the cycle route at Evanton. My advice would be to go via Cromarty. the roads are quiet, there is a good campsite at Fortrose and the ferry ride from Cromarty breaks the journey and is relaxing too (went that way in 2007).

sorbs 10 Feb 15:49  

Bike:

Ogwen & Big Stuff,

Ogwen - Many thanks for the route info.

Big Stuff - Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Our route is more or less finalised and it is:

Day 1 Prestwick to Balloch
Day 2 Balloch to Killin
Day 3 Killin to Blair Atholl
Day 4 Blair Atholl to Grantown on Spey
Day 5 Grantown to Tain

We will mainly be following National Route 7 but it still needs a bit of tweaking as as it stands the last leg is over 70 miles and we need to be at Tain by about 3pm.

There will be 10 cyclists and we will stop over night at campsites however we will have the benefit of a couple of support crew who will set-up the tents and prepare the food!

Ogwen 11 Feb 12:42  

Bike:

My Profile
There is a great campsite about two miles before you get to Dryman but if you push on there is another good one Cobeland, just before Aberfoyle. At Killin there is another good campsite a couple of miles to the east of thetown on the A827 overlooking the loch. I camped there the first time I cycled the route. Let me know if you need anymore info.

sorbs 13 Feb 13:37  

Bike:

Many thanks for the campsite info I will get the lad responsible for booking the sites to contact them.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.