We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Help a novice rider

Andrea67 14 Jul 10:44  

Bike:

My Profile
I haven't been on a bike for a very long time but recently I did a family ride, organised by my local council. It has reminded me how great cycling can be. Problem is, I'm not very fit & don't know many rides.
So I need some help & ideas please, how to increase my fittness level at a steady pace that fits into a busy liefstyle & where I can ride that is easier enough for a novice with a family (husband & kids 12 & 9 who are much fitter than me)
any advise would be gratefully received, thnaks

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Scarcroft to Thorner and Collingham Loop
sonny walkman 14 Jul 18:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Without knowing the area where you are, I'd suggest starting with a couple of 30-45 minute rides on local roads during the week and aiming for 45-60 minute ride at weekend with a view to gradually building it up from there.

I'd considered myself to be a fair-weather cyclist until about 8 months ago until I stated getting out on it a lot more. The hills that were once lung busters soon became less of an effort. I'm at the stage now where I ride up a local 1 in 10 hill rather than get off and push and get in a 2 hour ride most weekends.

Good luck

Andrea67 15 Jul 03:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Sorry (new to this!) I'm in Scarcroft in between Wetherby & Leeds which is abit hilly well it is to me anyway!

soren 16 Jul 03:26  

Bike:

My Profile

I would do a local search to find a cycling club that is family friendly with plenty of leasure rides, I joined my local club SCCC I now have some great new friends and when we go out riding we allways travel at the pace of the slowest rider, we have weekends away and for those who wish to,we do things like the C2C ect.
Hope this helps.

Andrea67 16 Jul 03:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks I'll give it a try, see what comes up

chas70 17 Jul 17:05  

Bike:

I am in a similar position having just purchased a bkie and am building up my fitness by trying to get on the bike every day . Good luck

Andrea67 19 Jul 03:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi fellow beginners,
well I went out 6 days last week, for approx 25 mins, longer at the weekend. This week I'm aiming for 30-35 mins each days. Im sticking to local roads as suggested and really enjoying it.
How are you doing ? Any tips !

sallyann 19 Jul 12:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Andrea
I'm new to cycling too, I've started going out approx 3 times a week, with a couple of girlfriends, we do 1 longer ride of 30 plus miles and a couple of shorter ones as we have to be back for the school run! We are certainly getting fitter, faster and more confident.

Andrea67 19 Jul 15:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sallyann
30 miles plus, thats way better than m, how long does that take?
I've gone a bit mad today, Ive been out twice once before work & again after work, half hour each time, so not very far. But Im going to keep at.
My girls are away this week so Ive got more time, so Im making the most of it.

scuba6936 29 Jul 05:33  

Bike:

Hi

Newby here 45 miles and counting, just waiting for the rain to stop

Scuba

cstrong 29 Jul 09:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Glad I am not alone! Another new rider. Been riding now for about 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I missed last week as I was sick...ggrrrrr! Managed to clock about 150 miles so far...Just about to hit 100 on my cycle computer!

Got a 60 mile ride on the 21st August (Evans organised ride). Been cycling for up to an hour and 20 minutes so far. Tonight I ride home from work. St. Pauls Cathedral to Virginia Water in Surrey. According to the route planner it's just shy of 23.5 miles. No idea how long it will take - No camelbak, just an oxygen tank and mask! ;o)

My Latest Route: May 2010 Virginia Water to Chertsey Loop

scuba6936 29 Jul 10:00  

Bike:

Hi Andrea

Thats funny just got my bike and I'm on sick with a bad back.I'm sick of cleaning my new bike need to ride it.

Scuba

Andrea67 29 Jul 13:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi fellow newbies,
been out today & have done 10 miles, told you I was a novice>

but the total so far, for this week its 25 miles.

Also been to the bike shop, to get some padded shorts, although i do have some padding of my own, but they didnt have my size in stock !, so will have to put up with sore behind for a bit longer......:) ha ha

cstrong 30 Jul 07:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Well the 24 miles last night was quite pain free. Very slow getting out of the city. I headed from St. Pauls to Hyde Park and then through Knightsbridge and Hammersmith. Had averaged about 8 miles an hour to that point. Managed to pick up pace and rode at about 15mph for the stretch up to Staines. In all, 2:06:01 on the cycle computer and about 2:30 overall - I don't pull out and overtake the buses just yet.

Andrea67 30 Jul 16:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi cstrong
sounds like you didnt need the oxygen after all !!! ......well done

i couldn't go out today, so used the exercise bike instead, its not the same, but its better than nothing.
tomorrow hope to do 18 miles & maybe 16 on sunday !

bike computers......are they any good ? should i getting one (well put it on my list of things im saving for) or should i save my money for something else, a new lip gloss maybe!....what does everyone think ?

sallyann 01 Aug 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Andrea
Save for both! A girl can't go without lipgloss. A friend bought my cycle computer in Aldi, it does everything i need and was £4.99. Our times really vary cycle to cycle, we did a 15 mile loop last week and that took just over an hour, we're on mtb's too!

Andrea67 01 Aug 14:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sallyann
£4.99 !!! i can get both... that will also mean my husband will be happy because i wont be spending too much ! I'll keep an eye out for one.

15 mile an hour sounds good to me

we all went on the leeds liverpool canal towpath today.....it was good fun, we cycle for a just over 2 hours.

cstrong 02 Aug 04:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I like the cycle computers - it's good for an average speed and overall distance. Needed a bit of calibration as I could not fit the sensor in the right place, but it's accurate enough now. £4.99 - wish I had shopped around. I just walked into Evans and bought one on the spot - too impatient!

No cycling this weekend as it was time to treat my wife on Saturday (Theatre) and playing golf yesterday...

Cycling home from work again tomorrow - three weeks until the ride now.

sallyann 02 Aug 15:54  

Bike:

My Profile
hi
the cycle computer although cheap does the job with various settings and i find it good for motivation. Off to cycle the Greenway in Stratford tomorrow as the children are off and it's a flat and gentle ride.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.