We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Coast to Coast- Central Scotland

lexjah 05 Sep 12:23  

Bike:

hi. I am looking at doing a coast to coast cycle sept/oct as my best achievement this year. would like some guidance on a route. thanks.

mstar12 05 Sep 12:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Berwick, Coldstream, Kelso, Innerleithen, Peebles, Biggar, Douglas, Muirkirk, Mauchline and Ayr 138 mile or so. Great route for a few days or more camping on the way. Just done this. If you have the time Ride down to Newton Stewart through the Gallaway forest it is edgy.
Mick

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Coast 2 Coast Workington to South Shields

marcmcf 15 Sep 14:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mick,

Just a question, whats the roads like on this route traffic wise? Im planning on doing this route in 2 weeks time so your advise would be great. Is it mainly on the A70 and A72?

Marc

mstar12 19 Sep 09:49  

Bike:

My Profile
I planned the route on bikeroutetoaster. We dont carry any food so the route had to go through towns for grub. I just put the pointer on Berwick station, Norham castle, Coldstream, Kelso and so on and it planned the route, all I had to do was download it onto my GPS and put the batteries in. The planner goes for minor roads when pos. Yes sometimes it does go on the main roads with the worst being 5 mile either side of Rigside( James sarnie shop is great at Rigside he is a proper bloke). The biggest opencast in Britain is near here and the lorries use this road. They do give you plenty of room though. After Douglas the road is empty until nearly Ayr.
We loved this route.

marcmcf 20 Sep 14:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Mick, much appreciated.

I take it you done Berwick to Ayr? Im thinkin of doin the opposite way, looking forward to it. Set off next Saturday.

Marc

mstar12 21 Sep 07:34  

Bike:

My Profile
My route followed A719 out of Ayr onto B743=A70near Smallburn=turned off few miles passed Rigside through Harleyholme=A73= left through Thankerton onto Biggar. Broughton,Stobo,Peebles,Innerleithen from here there are decommisioned roads traffic free running for miles on the right hand side. Then Tweedbank, Melrose, Eildon, St Bos, B6404=B6397=A6089=Kelso=A698=Coldstream=A6112 into England at Ladykirk bridge=Norham and on to Berwick.
You of course might have your own plan. But if you do go through Rigside and you stop at James sarnie shop please tell him that the Geordie who stopped with his wife was asking after him. Oh and do try the Texas it has to be 500 cals.
Mick

marcmcf 01 Oct 06:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Just done this route over Saturday and Sunday, stayed overnight at West Linton, just outside Peebles. Started from Ayr and finished at Berwick upon Tweed.

Great weekend and a great cycle, really enjoyed it. Thanks for your help guys.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.