We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Are cycles allowed on M8 ?

Siddy 22 May 19:41  

Bike:

hello all...i am new to glasgow/scotland. planning a ride to edinburgh. was wondering if cycles are allowed on the M8 motorway.

thanks
Sid

Magnitude 22 May 19:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Afraid not, it's illegal to cycle on the motorway for many obvious reasons. If you google 'cycle Glasgow to Edenburgh' you'll see quite a few results, have a look through and use google maps to help you plan out your route.

My Latest Route: May 2010 West Bromwich to Walsall and Wolverhampton Canal Loop

Siddy 22 May 20:13  

Bike:

thanks Magnitude

i am looking at the 51 mile Glasgow-Edinburgh Pedal for Scotland Challenge Ride route, which passes through roads marked A89,B8058,B825,... are these roads open to cycling all the year round, or only on the Pedal for Scotland ride day.

thanks
Sid

Magnitude 22 May 20:22  

Bike:

My Profile
From what I've read you can ride on anything except motorways and roads that have an M in brackets, eg A1(M) as those roads have motorway rules applied to them.

My Latest Route: May 2010 West Bromwich to Walsall and Wolverhampton Canal Loop

MacHovis 23 May 17:26  

Bike:

My Profile
It's possible to cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh almost entirely off-road by following the Forth and Clyde Canal path to Falkirk and then picking up the Union Canal path to get to Edinburgh. Strictly speaking, one should have a permit from the British Waterways to cycle on the paths (just visit their website and print it off and sign it). I suspect most cyclists do not have one.

This route takes you past the Falkirk Wheel.

My Latest Route: Aug 2008 Livingston South Station To Edinburgh Park

bloomp 25 May 11:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Seen that Falkirk Wheel on Discovery Channel - massive machines or some such . . I'd def go the canal route just to see that lol - 51 mile or so on towpath sound ok, bet there are plenty of watering holes / eateries on the way too! Keep off the motorways Siddy, they're really boring - hit the canals - water, sun, scenery, pubs and grub - who could want more?
bloomp

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.