We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Reply to : Cycle tour of Orkney

First Post
glasgowjim 03 Jul 20:54  

Bike:

it is a bit of an uphill slog from the harbour for a mile but after that its plain sailing. Make sure you know exactly where the station is as asking a local can be a hit or miss affair as when I asked some one they didnt even know where it was for sure but still they sent me in the wrong direction ! I soon realised that they hadnt a clue and asked someone else who gave the right direction at least. 36 minutes seems a bit tight depends on how fast you go and how quickly you can climb up the rise from the harbour as you will have little margin for error. Once you have crested the hill its downhill or flat going all the way to the station. checked with google maps they put it at 13 mins so allowing for some misdirection it should be okay (reckon google maps runs at 10 mph average for cycles).

When you pass the big LIDL store you are 1.2 way there keep going straight ahead until you come to the Royal bank of scotland on the left hand side you cant miss it turn sharp right onto princes street and the station is a1/2 mile along the street on the LHS you cant miss it!

Please remember if you wish to add a ROUTE, please go here instead.
Please remember if you wish to add an EVENT, please go here instead.

Please write your reply below:

Please email me when someone replies?

Cycle-Route.com reserves the right to remove any post which it deems is not relevant to the thread, including offensive or non relevant material.

Last Post
glasgowjim 03 Jul 20:54  

Bike:

it is a bit of an uphill slog from the harbour for a mile but after that its plain sailing. Make sure you know exactly where the station is as asking a local can be a hit or miss affair as when I asked some one they didnt even know where it was for sure but still they sent me in the wrong direction ! I soon realised that they hadnt a clue and asked someone else who gave the right direction at least. 36 minutes seems a bit tight depends on how fast you go and how quickly you can climb up the rise from the harbour as you will have little margin for error. Once you have crested the hill its downhill or flat going all the way to the station. checked with google maps they put it at 13 mins so allowing for some misdirection it should be okay (reckon google maps runs at 10 mph average for cycles).

When you pass the big LIDL store you are 1.2 way there keep going straight ahead until you come to the Royal bank of scotland on the left hand side you cant miss it turn sharp right onto princes street and the station is a1/2 mile along the street on the LHS you cant miss it!