We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Reply to : West Highland Way

First Post
milnek 19 Oct 18:17  

Bike:

Hi - I did the route over three nights in May 2012 and did it from Fort William, travelling South all the way. This way, the WHW walkers were always able to get out of my way and i did not induce heart attacks in any OAPs trudging their way North. Advice i would give is train beforehand (i did about 3 months work beforehand), take a good supply of energy bars that you actually like, and book accommodation well in advance. If you can afford luggage service, then this would improve things too. Lastly, i would probably skip the East side of Loch Lomond - it was a nightmare that is hard to describe - especially getting over Rob Roy's cave section. .On the other hand, the wee boat i tokk to get over to the east side was a great experience (had to wait for ages till the guy arrived). Also, if you can avoid the Youth Hostel in Rowardennan, then do so, it looks deceptively pretty, but when i was there, it was alive with midges and the rooms were like the Black Hole of Calcutta. I think that the other advantage of going North to South was that, after Tyndrum, it's kind of downhill most of the way, just when you are feeling the pain after day 2. I went Day 1: Fort William to Kingshouse Hotel, Day 2: Kingshouse to The Drovers Inn and then Day 3: Drovers to Rowardennan, Day 4: Rowardennan to Milngavie.

I have some photos on a slide if you are interested. See enclosed link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=9F8B0DB3D908E39B&id=9F8B0DB3D908E39B%21180.

Keith

Please remember if you wish to add a ROUTE, please go here instead.
Please remember if you wish to add an EVENT, please go here instead.

Please write your reply below:

Please email me when someone replies?

Cycle-Route.com reserves the right to remove any post which it deems is not relevant to the thread, including offensive or non relevant material.

Last Post
milnek 19 Oct 18:17  

Bike:

Hi - I did the route over three nights in May 2012 and did it from Fort William, travelling South all the way. This way, the WHW walkers were always able to get out of my way and i did not induce heart attacks in any OAPs trudging their way North. Advice i would give is train beforehand (i did about 3 months work beforehand), take a good supply of energy bars that you actually like, and book accommodation well in advance. If you can afford luggage service, then this would improve things too. Lastly, i would probably skip the East side of Loch Lomond - it was a nightmare that is hard to describe - especially getting over Rob Roy's cave section. .On the other hand, the wee boat i tokk to get over to the east side was a great experience (had to wait for ages till the guy arrived). Also, if you can avoid the Youth Hostel in Rowardennan, then do so, it looks deceptively pretty, but when i was there, it was alive with midges and the rooms were like the Black Hole of Calcutta. I think that the other advantage of going North to South was that, after Tyndrum, it's kind of downhill most of the way, just when you are feeling the pain after day 2. I went Day 1: Fort William to Kingshouse Hotel, Day 2: Kingshouse to The Drovers Inn and then Day 3: Drovers to Rowardennan, Day 4: Rowardennan to Milngavie.

I have some photos on a slide if you are interested. See enclosed link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=9F8B0DB3D908E39B&id=9F8B0DB3D908E39B%21180.

Keith