We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Waterproofing SPD Shoes

1 2 3 > >>
ArthurScrimshaw 08 Nov 14:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been using spd shoes for a while and wondered if anyone has solved the problem of stopping water getting in through the sole of the shoe where the cleats attach. My shoes (Shimano, bottom of the range trainer type) give you a small sticker to put on the inside of the shoe (under the insole)to stop muck getting in, but it's a pretty crude solution which doesn't seem to be very effective. Without it I can see daylight through the unused screw holes. I've now squirted silicon bath sealant into the holes and filled up the recess inside the shoes. Is this OTT or a tried and tested solution?!

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Binsted to Whiteways and Bignor Hill Loop
ArthurScrimshaw 08 Nov 14:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Sorry - meant to say I've tried looking to see if this has been covered before without success.

krazykayaker 08 Nov 18:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Have you tried Waterproof Socks and/or overshoes

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

ArthurScrimshaw 08 Nov 18:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Not yet, I've ordered a pair of overshoes but they have cutouts in the sole to allow spds to work so same problem. If my mod doesn't work then waterproof socks may be the next step!

Stargazer 09 Nov 08:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I have the same shoes by the sound of it and haven't experienced water coming up from 'below'???

The bath sealant may work if not try good old bodge (duck/duct) tape.

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Chester Circular Via Kelsal Hill

ArthurScrimshaw 09 Nov 08:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Maybe I'm pre-empting a problem, the bath sealant dries to a flexible rubber like consistency so it should cope with the flexing of the shoe. Hopefully it will keep my feet warm and dry when I get the overshoes (Endura MT500s) Hope these are going to be ok, have read some mixed reviews about them.

Stargazer 09 Nov 18:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Having been out tonight overshoes are next on my list!

A quick look at the reviews of the MT500's on Wiggle seem to be quite positive, well worth a £22.49 punt!

MudsHoney 10 Nov 10:26  

Bike:

Waterproof socks still leave your feet feeling cold Gaffer tape and Good quality sealant combination is the best solution I found. And a good pair of Thermal Socks

ArthurScrimshaw 13 Nov 16:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Well tested out the combination of MT500s and bath sealed shoes in today's deluge and have to give it the big thumbs up!

Stargazer 18 Nov 08:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Glad it all worked Arthur!

I got wet feet on Sunday Morning, though again from the the top not the bottom, so overshoes on my Crimble list for Santa........!

ArthurScrimshaw 18 Nov 17:07  

Bike:

My Profile
If you go for the MT500s they are a snug fit, some reviewers say go for a bigger size, I ordered XL which is for shoe size 11 to 12 and on my size 11 shoes they are tight but ok. I'm careful putting them on the shoe and zipping up as I want them to last.
Hope Santa reads your list!

globalfish 27 Nov 20:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I too back the MT500 overshoes but can't say I've ever had water in through the bottom of my shoes. Not even on a cheap pair.
I find Sealskin socks ok too.

Reluctant 13 Jan 03:58  

Bike:

Silicon sealant does work and durable long term too. Sealskins are great as too and means you can wear mesh uppered "summer" shoes all year round. Go for merino lined ones and they keep yer toes warm too.

john.lumley 01 Jan 19:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello, like your other correspondants, Ive tried all of the above, silicone sealant, duck tape, goretex socks and neoprene overshoes, but the rain tends to run into your socks, so I prefer thick walking socks with plastic bags over them(v cheap unlike £25 goretex socks which get holes in the heels after a while!)I got a size larger shoes for winter to fit the bigger socks which I bought at Lidl's for just £14 (my other Shimano shoes cost £80.)If it looks really wet and you feel that you must endure it rather than going down to the pub, its probably best to duck tape the top of your overshoes to stop the rain running in and wear over trousers as well, It worthwhile taking the trouble to have warm dry feet as theres nothing more miserable if they are cold and wet. Happy New Year! John L

My Latest Route: Jan 2012 Giffnock Railway Station to Dunblane Railway Station

NickNut 03 May 09:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I use Seal Skinz water proof socks

Obi_mart_kenobi 18 Apr 17:49  

Bike:

Same problem here with the water ingress from the unused cleat screw holes. I have waterproof shimano overshoes which are excellent, but don't stop the water splashing up. I plan to deal the holes with mastic/bathroom sealant as above.

Obi_mart_kenobi 18 Apr 17:50  

Bike:

#seal the holes. Lol

GreyKorbin 18 Mar 17:50  

Bike:

This community has made a huge difference to children affected by HIV, and I think that's great. I'd like to see the people who do australia writing work to share some vital details about this now.

Jake11 25 May 05:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Company should resolve this major issue in SPD Shoes. Customers are not satisfied because water enters in shoes very easily which is not very common in shoes of other brands. I am so happy to [url=https://windowsmaximizer.com/files/dll/application/sql-server-2014-standard-edition]dll download[/url] which will make my PC brand new once again owing to best version of windows.

thaihaclinic 26 May 23:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Phòng xem xét ?a khoa Thái Hà là v? trí ch?m sóc th? xác toàn di?n cho b?n và gia ?ình b?n. Th?y thu?c gi?i - th? y t? hi?n ??i c?ng cáp s? khi?n cho b?n hài lòng.

Jake11 15 Jan 01:07  

Bike:

My Profile
[url=https://masterbundles.com/templates/presentations/powerpoint/nature/][img]https://masterbundles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/main-490x490.jpg[/img][/url]

Jake11 15 Jan 01:08  

Bike:

My Profile

seomind 24 Sep 10:55  

Bike:

My Profile
A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing the information, keep doing awesome... I truly delighted in investigating your site. great asset... Digital Storefronts

seomind 24 Sep 11:05  

Bike:

My Profile
It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner. Digital Storefronts

seomind 24 Sep 11:11  

Bike:

My Profile
so happy to find good place to many here in the post, the writing is just great, thanks for the post. Digital Storefronts

seomind 24 Sep 11:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Asea

seomind 24 Sep 11:15  

Bike:

My Profile
I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? Asea

seomind 24 Sep 11:30  

Bike:

My Profile
I liked your article and I hope you will have many entries or more Asea

seomind 24 Sep 11:36  

Bike:

My Profile
This is also a very good post which I really enjoy reading. It is not everyday that I have the possibility to see something like this. LegalShield

seomind 24 Sep 11:36  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been looking for info on this topic for a while. I'm happy this one is so great. Keep up the excellent work LegalShield

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.