We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Tyre pressures?

1 2 >
London_Rick 30 Jun 17:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Has anyone got any ideas/advice about what is the ideal tyre pressure to use?

I ride a hybrid as I do a fair bit of on-road but also like to get off-road and along tracks and paths as often as possible. Its basically a mountain bike set up but with smoother tyres. I was told that tyres should always be inflated so they are 'really hard' but what constitutes 'really hard'? I currently have Kenda Quickroller Sport tyres and it says on the tyre wall '80psi max'. I have pumped them up at the garage but 80psi seems bloody high pressure to me - my car only needs 30psi, so I am currently running them at 40psi. Anyone got any ideas??

My Latest Route: May 2010 Baldock to Therfield Circular
dudley 01 Jul 02:07  

Bike:

My Profile
your car only needs 30 psi
a tractor runs on around 9 (nine) psi
a road bike on 700x23 tyres runs on 120-130psi
mountain bikes will run on between 40 and 80 psi, depending on terrain and tyre size.

Do NOT use your car as guidance. I think you'll agree your car tyre and car look somewhat different to your bicycle!

there is a reason your tyre wall says 80psi max.

If you are doing a lot of road miles, i'd get the pressure up to near 80 if i were you.

soft tyres on the road increase friction, wear out quicker, and have an increased risk of puncture through crimping when you hit a pothole..

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

longbob 23 Jul 07:31  

Bike:

My Profile
i run my road bike at 120 psi and my mountain at about 60psi.

it's mad to think you put that much pressure in such small tires but you will find it far easier to cycle with the correct psi...the only time you may want to drop down is on really ruff tracks as you get stlightly more contact with the ground...well, that's what i find anyhow.

if in doulbt, just go with what the tire recommends!

STID 23 Jul 07:51  

Bike:

My Profile
If you check the rim of a tyre, the ideal pressure recommended by the manufacturer is print on it. This is through years of development and testing and what they know is best for that tyre set up.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

Pesmo 25 Jul 17:28  

Bike:

My Profile
There is room for a bit of experimentation though. I run my rear tyre at 60psi as recommended on the side wall, but if I do the same on the front the vibration is awful on rolled shale tracks. So I tend to run the front only at about 40psi as it dampens out the vibration through the handlebars really well.

guitarpete247 07 Mar 15:15  

Bike:

My Profile
I've always run my tyres at the recommended pressures. I have not had a 'rapid pneumatic deflation' incident in a very long time. The last one I had to repair was to a nip in the tube when I fitted new tyres. Before that was when someone borrowed my bike without my knowledge and didn't check tyre pessure leading to snake bites. The correct pressure helps avoid punctures.

If you feel trying them at lower pressure be prepared for using your repair kit more often.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

vavb 07 Mar 15:35  

Bike:

I always run my tyres back and front just a couple of pounds under the max pressure marked on the tyre. It gives a hard ride but you will get a hell of a lot less punctures.

ozzie51 07 Mar 16:49  

Bike:

My Profile
G,day,
After purchasing a good floor pump with an accurate gauge I found I was low on pressure with my no gauge hand punp, and I have not had a puncture in the last 1000miles.
John

Manicopus 19 Nov 19:11  

Bike:

My Profile
If you do not know, it is better to just rent a car and there will be no problems. But many people often complain that they are given broken-down cars and instead of going somewhere they try to reanimate the car. That is why you should be careful with such companies and read the reviews necessarily. I was able to find a lot of reviews and opinions about this company at https://www.dm-auto-leasing.reviews/review.html . It was only then that I trusted them.

Manicopus 19 Nov 19:13  

Bike:

My Profile
If you do not know, it is better to just rent a car and there will be no problems. But many people often complain that they are given broken-down cars and instead of going somewhere they try to reanimate the car. That is why you should be careful with such companies and read the reviews necessarily. I was able to find a lot of reviews and opinions about this company at dm-auto-leasing.reviews . It was only then that I trusted them.

seomind 21 Dec 03:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:09  

Bike:

My Profile
I found Hubwit as a transparent s ite, a social hub which is a conglomerate of Buyers and Sellers who are ready to offer online digital consultancy at decent cost. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:12  

Bike:

My Profile
It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:18  

Bike:

My Profile
There's no doubt i would fully rate it after i read what is the idea about this article. You did a nice job.. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I enjoy it for creating the details, keep up the truly amazing perform continuing Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post. Lead generation

seomind 21 Dec 03:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. Lead generation

seomind 05 Mar 10:58  

Bike:

My Profile
I am overwhelmed by your post with such a nice topic. Usually I visit your blogs and get updated through the information you include but today’s blog would be the most appreciable. Well done! Livevol Review

seomind 05 Mar 11:04  

Bike:

My Profile
This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. The Oxford Income Letter Review

seomind 05 Mar 11:08  

Bike:

My Profile
This website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up! The Oxford Income Letter Review

seomind 05 Mar 11:11  

Bike:

My Profile
This post is good enough to make somebody understand this amazing thing, and I’m sure everyone will appreciate this interesting things. The Oxford Income Letter Review

seomind 05 Mar 11:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. Darqube Review

Manicopus 21 Jun 22:17  

Bike:

My Profile
https://www.deepl.com/

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.