We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Sat Nav on a bike.

trenchn 18 Mar 14:56  

Bike:

Hi,
Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a Sat nav to follow cycle routes. They are fairly cheap, easy to see and seem acurate enough when used in a car. I am looking at one for about £60.00 whcih is rechargeable and is also an mp3 player.
Can we use the GPX option on a Satnav?
Cheers
Nick

happy 19 Mar 03:45  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi Nick,

I've haven't used one my self personally but I know a lot of people who do. It can put some more enjoyment into cycling again, and more importantly encourage you to go further afield and try new routes you wouldn't normally try, all because you know you won't get lost.

With GPX routes it depends on the make. I'm pretty sure Garmin accept them. It all depends on the accuracy of how the route is plotted. However one thing you can do is plot your own route when your cycling and then upload it to the site for others.

Hope that helps.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

trenchn 19 Mar 09:54  

Bike:

That's great thanks.
Nick

Cycling Dude 29 Apr 16:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes, I use the garmen edge 605 and its gr8, i use for cycling around on the road on raod trips, and it has never let me down!

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

Kevin Algar 09 Jun 15:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Can you get sat navs that won't send you down moterways?

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Ipswich to East Bergholt

Shortbusdriver1969 27 Sep 13:31  

Bike:

My Profile
SatNav on a Bike ?
from what I have seen with my car sat nav it wont see a cycle path / track
it will display as off road.
the GPS outdoor trek types will prob be better and some garmin modles do have handle bar mounts.
for me on my bike if I do need a ref point I just use the satnav on my phone, :-)

stuartkendall 27 Sep 15:12  

Bike:

My Profile
If you just want to record a route then nokia sportstracker (on a GPS enabled phone) is fine. View the rides stats and you can upload the route to google earth as a gpx file.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 St Mellons to Coed Coesau and Draethen Loop

dudley 28 Sep 04:23  

Bike:

My Profile
don't be plugging that mp3 player into headphones now...

cyclists with earphones - pet hate.
you've enough to contend with without failing to hear the skip lorry behind you.......

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.